View Single Post
Old May 1st 15, 22:01   #18
Mororless
Ranger

Re: Watching Babylon 5 in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennier's Tears View Post
I think I've commented elsewhere on this board that I wasn't in the US when B5 first aired either, and I have much the same experience as you. I didn't really become aware of the deep rift between the fandoms until later. I can still sort of sense that in people my age or older (I'm 36), but does that rift still exist among young people? For those who started watching science fiction shows when both B5 and DS9 were old news, would any of that stuff really matter?
Same age as me and very much mirrors my experience, it was really only when I started posting more seriously on the net in the early 00's that I picked up on the whole B5/DS9 fued.

For more recent viewers I would guess the two issues might be that B5 does show a lower budget in places and that it does embrace a larger than life style in its characters/acting. The ironic thing is that high end TV today actually looks to go down the naturalistic acting route more than most big Hollywood films. Babylon 5 feels a lot closer to say Peter Jacksons Tolkien films than it does Game of Thrones in terms of the general tone and throwing in good amounts of humour.

As quality TV grows as well I think there seeing a lot of the film buff mentality shift to it and honestly if your more interested in picking holes in something than enjoying it you will find weak spots in B5.

Quote:
]I love the Zocalo sets .. I'm a little less enthusiastic about all the Down Below stuff, and the low traffic areas, which are always full of crates. Rearrange the crates and you have a new set! That said, there are some Down Below scenes that look really good, also. I love the aesthetics in that "One moment of perfect beauty" scene from There All the Honor Lies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jli3ruqWYlc). Also the bits with Brother Edward at the end of Passing Through Gethsemane.

I like what we get to see of everyone's personal quarters. I like how they're all personalized to fit the characters. You can still see the Babylon 5 standard interior, but it's mostly covered up with personal stuff. Some effort went into that set design.
That's one area I think B5's character definitely benefited from, where they lived said a lot about them. The aesthetic of B5's design made it much easier to "dress" with characters personal belongings.

Last edited by Mororless; May 2nd 15 at 19:36.
Mororless is offline   Reply With Quote