View Single Post
Old March 26th 15, 07:57   #18
Mororless
Ranger

Re: Worst Acting Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I've just re-watched Racing Mars. Cap'n Jack and Number Two must rank up there amongst the worst actors.

Interesting observation about the Jim Johnston episodes. I'll have to go back and watch some and keep an eye out for this style of direction. Though if I recall his last episode was Point of No Return I remember him complaining about Majel Barret Roddenberry's acting in that. There was plenty of opportunity for over the top Earthforce characters in that, but we had the excellently creepy Vaughn Armstrong as the Nightwatch guy. Even the Earthforce generals that talked to Sheridan were fairly considered.
My feeling is that it was more a case of the directors and maybe even JMS himself(although I would guess his control might have been less than it was latter after the shows success) not really having as firm a grasp of what the tone of the show was going to be. You put the Ben Zayn character in an 80's Arnie action film for example and the acting would be totally fine. As you say he really nailed it with Vaughn Armstrong in a similar kind of role in the 3rd season when those problems seemed to largely be behind the show.

Strange that he had a problem with Roddenberry as I felt she was one of a long list of actors(including Vaughn Armstrong) who was better on B5 than they ever were on Trek, very commanding performance that even puts Jurasik in the shade a bit.
Mororless is offline   Reply With Quote