View Single Post
Old March 12th 15, 10:29   #22
Mororless
Ranger

Re: EpDis: Rising Star

Its probably the most indepth I can remember discussing these characters as most of what I'v done in the past online has been around Sheridan, Delenn, Londo and G'kar.

Again I would say Babylon 5 exists in a strange kind of "inbetween" from the pulpier TV of years gone by and the more film like TV that exists today. It offers the same kind of depth of drama of the best modern TV but has one foot in the pulp style as well and actually works in a lot of its drama by deconstructing expectations of that style.

I did think of that line from Shadow Dancing as well which seems somewhat throwaway at the time but could actually be viewed as telling the story of the two characters.

As far as duty and personal attachment to Sheridan goes with Ivanova I would say its a mix of both. His friendship definitely seems to be her main support but equally I think following him gives her a clearer and simpler path in life. Not just in terms of duty vs fulfilling personal life but of the kind of duty and the kind of moral tests it offers.

To me it seems like a lot of the burden Sheridan takes up as he takes up a greater and gerater position of leadership is the burden not just of putting his own life at risk but of either ordering or having others make sacrifces on his behalf. Sending Macrus and Ivanova themselves on a 50/50 mission in Shadow dancing, sending the ranger crew to their deaths to draw the shadows into the conflict, having other Alliance ships take the hits from the shadow planet killer to save him, using the telepaths to disable the earth force fleet, etc.

Ivanova on the other hand never really does this, she sends others into risky situations but only when she shares the risk with them. She asks to be out where with the Star Fury pilots in the battle with earth force in Severed Dreams and demands to be in the final confrontation of the Shadow War. When she takes over from him in the Earthj civil war the first thing she does is take personal command of a very high risk mission. I'd say that obviously plays into not being able to take Marcus's sacrifice on her behalf and you could argue even that her taking the position of Ranger One in Sleeping in Light might offer redemption by taking up that kind of responsibility.
Mororless is offline   Reply With Quote