View Single Post
Old February 22nd 15, 17:18   #9
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: EpDis: Atonement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennier's Tears View Post
It's interesting to see the Minbari suppressing individual freedom to that degree, in order to preserve the purity of their race, which doesn't even exist to begin with. Aside from the whole Valen thing, I find it extremely hard to believe that no Minbari has ever had an alien "mate" before. They've been in space for many, many generations.
Actually, the Minbari have always seemed to me to be all about suppressing individual freedom. The whole thing about being of service being the highest calling and how the acts of one person disgracing a whole clan.

Quote:
There's some good reveals in here still, so far into the main story! We learn that it was Delenn who gave the order to attack the humans, and that she is a descendant of Sinclair/Valen. It all fits and makes sense. I like it.
I may have mentioned this upthread so I apologize if that's the case but finding out that Delenn gave the attack order that started the entire Earth/Minbari war makes her accepting 'Arthur's' guilt/Excalibur in "A Late Delivery from Avalon" all the more poignant.

Quote:
What a terrible custom, exchanging young people between two parties recently in conflict. Sucks to be that young man or woman, eh? Again, screw your individual freedom, you'll sacrifice yourself for the greater good!
That's well rooted in our own past customs. In the 'olden days', a losing king had to give up a hostage to be raised in the victor's household. Or yes, a marriage between the two warring parties would be arranged. Back then, children were playing pieces as well as heirs.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote