View Single Post
Old February 20th 15, 03:24   #10
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: The Illusion Of Truth

This episode makes me sooo uncomfortable. But I see in this thread it's not just me! Like Koshfan said upthread, it really is well done, which is what makes it uncomfortable.

That Randall is such a smarmy guy, but he speaks the truth when he says everyone has an agenda. I like that that point is being made here by a guy we all hate.

Here yet another example of how non-secure communication over link is. It's not the first time on the show that some inconvenient situation is created because someone overhears a message sent to someone else over their link.

Argh, another evil archaeologist

I enjoy Lennier headbutting the camera after it keeps bumping his head, and that scene where Londo is telling Sheridan about how cold it is in his quarters: "No, I said it was COLD, as in, 'Oh, my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!'" in true Londo-fashion. Incidentally, that's kind of how I'm feeling tonight, brrr.

I've commented on this before, but any episode of Babylon 5 that features the TV news looks a bit dated now, because what is portrayed is 90s style news. This isn't how news works now. I don't mean to say I don't think the propaganda is unrealistic, or that I don't think anyone would try something that blatant. On the contrary, I think it's entirely realistic. But you know there would be people countering with their own news all over the place. Even if there is no interstellar internet (and really, isn't there?? Or is Babylon 5 cut off somehow? This isn't actually mentioned, but apparently Sheridan can't just email his parents), people who have gone to Babylon 5 would be tweeting or blogging (or whatever) their own pictures and videos. Ok, I suppose just because we're only shown what ISN is doing doesn't mean that sort of thing isn't happening where we can't see it, but I get the distinct impression that stuff like that doesn't exist in the Babylon 5 universe. There are other episodes where this is more clear.

What's the deal with calling Stockholm syndrome Helsinki syndrome? This appears to be a "thing" elsewhere on the internet also. Is this a joke I am missing?
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote