View Single Post
Old February 14th 15, 01:24   #19
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: The Hour Of The Wolf

This is a very solid season opener. It has a somewhat different tone than the previous episodes. Everything looks darker still than season 3, especially those scenes in the imperial palace on Centauri Prime, and of course the bit at the end with Lorien.

Near the beginning of this episode, in the scene in council chambers where Ivanova is arguing with the league ambassadors, there's a great bit where someone (the Brakiri representative?) says "Sheridan is dead!" and Delenn counters with "You don't know that!". There is so much emotion in that "You don't know that!" It's great.

Same with Lyta apologizing for new Kosh. She plays it cool at first "Was there anything you wanted?" but then at the end, she is clearly greatly disturbed by the new Vorlon's ambassador's behavior as well.

C̶a̶l̶i̶g̶u̶l̶a̶ Cartagia is fantastic. He's a glorious madman. What a great character. Completely mad, and fabulous. I've always really liked Virini, too. I used to use one of his lines from a later episode as a signature ("I think we are well beyond pastels now"). And of course, Londo's realization of what he's going to have to do to "fix" this, and his comment about his relationship with Vir "you are the closest thing I have to a friend". It's all excellent stuff.

There's a lot of sadness in this episode, especially near the end, when the Sheridan rescue mission is a total failure. Even Delenn is losing hope.

What IS "the eye", exactly? The Shadows have a planetary defense system based on telepathy? That's an interesting choice, for sure.

I'm a big fan of Lennier's "initiating 'getting the hell out of here' maneuver"

I like the bit where it cuts from a shot of Ivanova's stat bar to Sheridan's stat bar dropping in the cave.
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote