View Single Post
Old February 13th 15, 10:07   #23
Springer
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Messages From Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennier's Tears View Post
Ah, that makes sense. I wonder if that has something to do with the way that Shadow ship is buried, also. It's buried deeply. How were those deposits formed? Are they volcanic? Or was the ship buried on purpose?

[I realize there probably are no actual explanations for this in the story, just people's assumptions or best guesses. I'd love to hear people's explanations, though ]
I think it said somewhere that the Shadow ship was buried 300m down. I find it amusing that the IPX were probably digging it out carefully, then along comes the other Shadow vessel and just blasts it out with its energy beam.

Syria Planum is a volcanic region on Mars, there are several very large shield volcanoes in the vicinity. So the deposits are probably partly volcanic, but also with a lot of deposition from flowing water, as the volcanism would create temperatures warm enough to melt ice and let water flow. We're probably talking about a history dating back three and a half billion years, but presumably the shadow ship has been there less than a million years, maybe just a thousand years since the last war, so any sedimentary deposits would have been messed up when they buried the ship.

The question is, what were they doing so close to Earth? Coincidence?
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote