View Single Post
Old February 5th 15, 01:21   #76
hypatia
First One

Re: EpDis: Passing Through Gethsemane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennier's Tears View Post
I REALLY like this episode. It's probably the best standalone episode of the whole show (I may change my mind on that as I work my way through this re-watch).

If someone had told me about this episode before I first watched it, and described it as a story about forgiveness, involving monks and named "Passing Through Gethsemane", I would have thought "ehh". Religious themes aren't really my cup of tea, and I dislike stories that beat you over the head with some kind of morality message. But, this episode isn't like that at all!
I know this is a love it or hate it kind of episode. But it is truly my favorite standalone episode. And Brad Dourif was a complete revelation in his part. The writing was stellar, and the issues were not over simplified, as you said. It really seemed a realistic portrayal.

Quote:
Even when this was written in the mid-nineties, the death penalty was long on its way out. Many nations had officially abolished it, and many others had stopped enacting it. It seems kind of odd to me that the writers felt this idea was likely to be around in the 23rd century. I don't have a problem with individual characters expressing a desire for a return to the olden days of capital punishment (ie Garibaldi). I am dubious that the world's governments would decide to bring it back as they join together in a global alliance.
I don't know if I see humanity reaching a point where things like the death penalty and torture will become literally unthinkable to us, in masse. It's a bit too soon (from even now to the years B5 was staged) for that many people to just give up on it as a great idea.

I"m not sure you'd find a massive agreement about the legalization of slavery. And it has been essentially rejected by the entire world (at least "official" enslavement).

I guess I'm not sure we're as good as that.

ON another note: it's been interesting lurking through your comments. It really was an amazingly written epic.