View Single Post
Old February 1st 15, 21:32   #28
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Divided Loyalties

I just watched this episode yesterday. It's definitely one of my favorites. I always look forward to it and dread it at the same time. I'm sad to see Talia go, but it's such a good exit!

That moment when Talia "turns" still gives me chills, even now, almost twenty years after I first saw it. It's an excellent scene (although it does have Talia just coincidentally walking into a room at a convenient time, which is a thing that happens often on B5. See also "Stoner? Mat Stoner?" ) and it's quite creepy!

One of the other great things about this episode is the "Ivanova is a latent telepath" reveal. It's hard to remember now what I was thinking when I first watched this, but as I recall, I did not see that one coming. The character has plenty of reason to dislike the psi corps, so her antipathy never seemed entirely out of place. But then when you find out she is a latent telepath that fits perfectly also. The reveal is great, and it also adds to the Ivanova/Talia relationship, and makes it more tragic. Ivanova must have REALLY trusted Talia to let her get that close.

Garibaldi's fake reaction to the password is entirely in character, but such an inappropriate thing to do! I'm surprised no one punched him for that

I'm not crazy about the "butt" dialogue. I could buy that Delenn doesn't know the word "butt", but why would she assume it's a verb? Her English is pretty much perfect. But that is obviously a very minor quibble

As for the Talia/Ivanova relationship, was that always going to be part of the story, or did it get added in when Talia got written out of the story, to add to the "Ivanova's failed relationships" background? It sets her up way better for the Marcus story and everything that was to come after that than the old boyfriend thing in the first season (speaking of which, I kinda have to question her judgement if she didn't she that coming. Surely he didn't turn into an alien-hater overnight?). The Talia thing is way more tragic.
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote