Thread: EpDis: Knives
View Single Post
Old February 1st 15, 07:20   #16
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Knives

I watched this episode today. It's more of a standalone episode with some minor arc stuff in it, but, as mentioned by Estelyn, it has one of the major themes of the show: self sacrifice ("Quickly, what is the third principle of sentient life?"). I like that recurring theme in that it binds all the different races together in a way.

As Maneth said upthread, it's interesting to learn more about the various races. Centauri society is an interesting one. Not that there any UNinteresting societies in the Babylon 5 universe. The Centauri appear to have some very rigid social rules. I'm vaguely uncomfortable with the idea that cultures who embrace concepts like blood oaths (Narn) and duels to the death (Centauri) are technologically advanced enough to be space-faring (and then some). But, I'm never entirely sure about the Centauri. It is possible they are trying to recreate some former glory and have gone back to duels and such in the somewhat recent past. It's hard to think of them as anything but imperialistic, but perhaps they enjoyed more progressive periods in their history.

I enjoyed the bit of opera singing at the beginning, although of course it always occurs to me that Centauri opera is suspiciously similiar to human opera
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote