View Single Post
Old December 13th 14, 09:56   #2
Springer
Ambassador

Re: Which storylines disappointed the most?

You mention many of the major storylines here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Cop View Post

1) No 1 beef of all time - The Telepath War. There was none! This despite numerous hints that there was one coming. All we got was 'Jim Jones' Byron leading his lambs to the slaughter...
I agree here, but we've debated this to death on the forum recently, so I won't add anything more at this stage.

Quote:
2) Mars - Built up as a major story during Seasons 1-3 this arc simply became a device for Sheridan to get to Earth. Not to mention the shoddy actors in the resistance...
Well, I liked Number One! I don't know, I think if there was a problem with this storyline, it's that we didn't see the follow-through we didn't see any of the political ramifications of independence in season five, but this ties into my point about empire building later.

Quote:
3) Ivanova - Should have been B5 captain not Lockley (I know there were problems with getting Claudia to sign on) and her latent teep abilities could have developed into a great storyline with Bester and the Psi Corps...
Agreed, but that was a situation outside of the storytelling that led to Ivanova leaving, so couldn't be helped. But Lochley grew on me.

Quote:
4) The Alliance - I expected something better out of the ashes of the Shadow and Earth Wars. Poorly introduced in 'Rising Star' (an episode I despise), it is simply a galactic UN with all its incumbent squabbles. Should've been developed into something greater (as Delenn might say). Something that reflected the almost spiritual nature of the series.
It wasn't like the UN that's what the Babylon 5 Advisory Council was prior to the Alliance. The Alliance was a formal treaty between the different worlds, getting them to work together, a bit like the European Union. I would have liked to have seen this go further, with empire building. The original plans for a spin-off after B5 were to have been about the Rangers and Empire Building, I would have loved to have seen that.

Quote:
5) The First Ones - For beings that are supposed to be almost god-like they never really amounted to much except as an example to the Shadows and the Vorlons to 'get the hell out of our galaxy' (a line that almost ruins the almost perfect 'Into The Fire' episode that ended the Shadow War)...
I liked that they were left mostly mysterious. And the Shadows, Vorlons, and Lorien were First Ones too, and we saw plenty of them. Happy for the rest of the First Ones to be left to myth and legend. And they had cool ships.

Quote:
6) The B5 movies (except for 'In The Beginning') - A perfect opportunity to tie up loose ends wasted on what? I'm still trying to work it out.
I liked Thirdspace. River of Souls seemed to be the only one that was a bit of a waste to me. Not sure what I would have liked to have seen in its place though. Telepath War couldn't be told in one telemovie, I don't think - would have needed an entire season for that! Maybe we could have seen more of the future stuff, with David Sheridan, but even then it would be just showing us what we already know happened.

Quote:
7) Crusade and Legend Of The Rangers - Cancelled because they weren't B5. The Rangers/Technomages were not integral to the B5 story. A sequel series should have followed the Psi Corps/Centauri/Narn/Alliance story arcs. A 5 year series on finding a cure for a plague? Wouldn't hold my interest for 5 episodes...
Well... that's not strictly correct. Crusade was cancelled because of TNT meddling, and then TNT deciding they didn't want to do a SF show after all. It wasn't going to be five years of looking for a cure - the cure was supposed to be found by the second season, after which the show would evolve into something else- the real story, about Earth using Shadow tech for nefarious purposes (which we got a hint of in Path of Sorrows and would have seen more at the end of the first season) and the crew of the Excalibur on the run, with a little help from some B5 characters. Does that sound better? We'll never know how good it could have been without TNT killing it. Legend of the Rangers though, yep, that wasn't great.

Aside from availability of actors affecting storylines (Michael O'Hare, Claudia Christian, Andrea Thompson, John Schuck - would have loved to have seen more Draal) which couldn't be helped, it is the political, empire-building aspect of the Alliance that disappointed me by its relative absence. Also, the Minbari plotline; of the different species they as a whole always seemed less rounded to me, compared to the Narn or Centauri. We kind of lost the threat that the Warrior Caste held in season one, which just gave way to bickering in the Grey Council and then a truncated civil war that lasted two episodes.

But I do find it hard to be too disappointed by anything B5 did - I love the show too much!
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote