View Single Post
Old April 9th 14, 21:30   #7
Springer
Ambassador

Re: The Original Battlestar Galactica

From what I understand this latest attempt to make a movie is a 're-imagining' rather than bringing back the old show, although they keep changing their tune. I remember back in the late 90s Bryan Singer was talking about doing a film with Viggo Mortensen as Adama, and if I recall correctly Richard Hatch seemed to support Singer while at the same time pushing his own attempt at a sequel series. Will be interesting to hear what he thinks about this latest development, although until it comes out of development hell and footage starts to be shot I'm going to retain the right to be skeptical.

Bit of trivia: if the show had gone to a second season Apollo would have become psychic and left Blue Squadron, and Starbuck would have become the new leader of Blue Squadron. And in Galactic 1980, Starbuck was meant to return in subsequent episodes with the Ship of Light, guiding Troy. Troy would ask about his father, but doesn't tell him what happened to Apollo, but it seemed like Larson was trying to morph it back into the original Galactica. Even Baltar was going to come back. Kent McCord and Barry van Dyke were practically going on strike as they thought they were about to be replaced by the original actors... in short it was a mess but I almost wish it had continued to see what would have happened with the old characters returning.

I've picked up the new comic book series being written by Dan Abnett, not had chance to read it yet but it seems to be a mish-mash of original Galactica and Galactica 80. I met Abnett a few weeks back at a con and he says he was putting different elements together from both shows deliberately, as part of the 35th anniversary, without being canon to either. There is a whole issue dedicated to Athena... :-)
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote