Thread: Michael O'Hare
View Single Post
Old February 22nd 14, 20:17   #17
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: Michael O'Hare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I agree, the description on Wikipedia almost makes it sound like O'Hare became ill, or that his illness was made worse, partly because of the character he was playing but I don't recall JMS ever saying that.

Did Sinclair have PTSD? He certainly had survivor's guilt, which is pretty much what Garibaldi implies at the end of 'Infection', and is also hinted at with his memories of Mitchell in 'And the Sky Full of Stars'.
You may be correct. My comment was based on the (few, thank goodness) people I've known with post-combat PTSD who were prone to flashbacks. Which Sinclair definitely seemed to have, even without the Knight's machine. However, he definitely had survivor's guilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but O'Hare was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia, wasn't he?
It sounds like it, but JMS never mentioned any actual diagnosis. BTW, if you haven't seen it yet, there's a *long* interview with JMS at http://www.emmytvlegends.org/intervi...l-straczynski# and a link to a clip where he talks about Michael just a short time before he did so at Phoenix Comic-Con. In the clip, the discussion of Michael's illness starts shortly after the 46:00 mark.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote