View Single Post
Old August 21st 13, 21:12   #5
KoshN

Re: Aborted Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Cop View Post
I would be very happy for Rangers (JMS seems to hold them in high regard though I saw them as a minor storyline), Lost Tales (cheaply made and not really related to B5 story) and Crusade (too much like Star Trek for my liking and not much interest in the so-called arc of the series) to be erased forever. There are only two scenarios I think that would work for a 'reboot': a story set during the telepath war (my preference) or during the previous shadow war. Anything that does not involve the Shadows or Psi Corps will not work.
I think you nailed one of the problems of Crusade. While I liked the show, and very much wanted it to continue, it did feel derivative of Trek.
When I was watching Crusade, NEVER did it make me think of Trek. Babylon 5 never made me think of Deep Space Nine, because of how they diverged over time, and because the tone was so different. The writing was so different. Sure, the command structure on the Excalibur was similar to the command structure on Trek, but the same can be said for other ship based shows and movies (e.g. the cold war, submarine movie "Phantom"). Big deal! The writing and characters on Crusade were not copies of Trek characters.

Perhaps it's because I've cut all ties with the Trek universe, and no longer care even one tiny bit what happens with the Trek universe, but having watched all of B5 and Crusade and having read all of the B5 novels, when watching Crusade and B5, I'm 100% IN the B5/Crusade universe, not thinking of Trek anything. B5 and Crusade made me see the weaknesses in Trek and have absolutely no further use for Trek at this point. Sure, I may watch an episode of TOS or TNG if it comes on TV while I'm channel surfing, but I don't own any Trek on DVD, and wouldn't spend the money now for even TOS or TNG.

Quote:
Honestly, the only ship-based shows that don't feel derivative of Trek are BSG and SGU,
Why? Because BSG and SGU were trashy soap operas that were set in space, and TOS and TNG weren't? BSG (2003+) started out well, but turned completely into crap by Season 3. The transition was gradual but by Season 3's end, I could no longer stand it. I'd been buying the BSG miniseries and Season sets since the beginning, but got so fed up with the backbiting and trashy daytime soap opera nature of it that I sold all of my BSG DVDs. I never liked SGU, SG-1 and SGA yes, but NOT SGU.

Quote:
and SGU was highly derivative of BSG, so that really doesn't count.
SGU was awful. BSG turned awful gradually over time. I hold both BSG and SGU in the same LOW regard that I hold Trek DS9, VOY and ENT (Seasons 1, 2 and S4 finale).

Quote:
It ALMOST felt like "Hey, guys, I completely revolutionized TV SF with my show B5, and now I'm gonna' show that I can do your show better than you can, too."
I NEVER felt like that, but again perhaps it's because I was so thoroughly immersed in the B5/Crusade story. Crusade never made me think of Trek.

Quote:
I don't think there's much left to do with the Shadows, and the Drakh, for all their buildup, were a great big nuthin'
Haven't you read the Centauri or the Technomage trilogies? The only thing in the B5 universe that qualifies as a buildup, to a great big nuthin' was the non-canon B5 novel "Book #5 The Touch of Your Shadow, the Whisper of Your Name" and if I wasn't a completest, it wouldn't be in my house.

Quote:
Psicorps is a huge bleeding hole in the narrative, though, I agree. that's got to be handled.
Other than The Telepath War, it WAS handled in the Psi Corps trilogy of novels. Only The Telepath War was skipped, left for a theatrical release or series of theatrical releases.

Quote:
IPersonally, I'd like a show about the Rangers picking up right after B5, and covering the next 5 years, including the Telepath war. I wouldn't want it to be ship-based. I'd imagine a structure kinda' like the Justice League Unlimited cartoon (If you ever saw it) where you've got 7 principle characters and dozens of secondaries, who go out in different combinations to do various missions. That show was heavily arc-based, too.
Not me. I want to see the Rangers forgotten as a show, and Crusade continued in some form. I'll take anything in that respect, even comic books , but I'd vastly prefer non-graphic novels IF I can't have it as a TV series.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote