View Single Post
Old May 27th 12, 10:38   #25
Alioth
Commander

Re: EpDis: Mind War

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
The bad:

This episode is slightly tarnished for me because I can't help but think of it as a stop-gap way of dealing with the fact that the "wrong" telepath is on the show. Had Lyta stayed, this whole thing would have been unecessary.

Ironheart himself was kind of annoying. The over-announciating and the melodrama is one of the classic instances of B5 corniness, something that plagues the show throughout, especially the first season.

The good:

Though this ep is an "accident," the Bester character would probably not have come to fruition, so in that respect it's a "happy accident." And it's a decent intro to Psi-Corp, one of my favorite things in the series.

Favorite moment: Talia talking about telepaths making love while traveling through a tunnel.
I'm not sure how "accidental" or an adjustment to casting circumstances this show was though. I think there still would have been the need to introduce the face of the darker side of PsiCorps (i.e. Bester), and that could have easily had to do with having psi-cops hunting down someone who could leak a particularly dark secret of the Corps and/or be a result of their nefarious experimentations. Some particulars might have been "adjustment" (like would a "gift" have been necessary--but making the psi-cop target a former lover of Lyta wouldn't be a stretch either, and would similarly heighten the inner conflict of Lyta as it did in Talia--and so a parting "gift" would even fit that circumstance).

I think we can be certain that the PsiCorps and their plotting and black ops were to fit strongly in the arc, and we can probably infer Bester's character would be a key part of it, so therefore an introductory episode very much like this would probably still have aired had our resident teep been Lyta. The "humans become energy beings/First Ones in a million years" thing probably would have also still been integral to the arc (or rather, the whole concept of "ages" in the show--is that the "fourth age of mankind"?), so we may have still had the same Ironheart specifically, as well.

Last edited by Alioth; May 27th 12 at 11:03.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote