View Single Post
Old May 21st 12, 11:43   #41
Alioth
Commander

Re: EpDis: Believers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
What keeps me from viewing this episode as stellar though has a lot to do with finding the acting of the Shon character to be rather weak. Also, the that the religion of the aliens feels just sort of slapped together to suit a one-use need for this episode. I'd imagine there are plenty of people who disagree with me on this issue of their religion, but it's how it seems for me.
There are religious beliefs among humans that pose similar dilemmas: Scientologists opposing all medicine, Jehovah's Witnesses opposing blood transfusions, etc. I think occasionally there've been some stories in the news where someone dies for these beliefs too. Which made me wonder--I've noticed there've been quite a few Star Trek franchise episodes that correlated closely with some hot-button political or social controversy going on around the time they aired--TNG and Voyager seemed particularly guilty of this. I noticed this because I watched a lot of those eps when they were originally aired. I didn't watch Babylon 5 when it originally aired but many years later, but it seemed the show largely avoided doing this (comparing to what I remember of the 90s), as it was more committed to an arc, and more universal (and timeless) themes. I'm wondering if maybe this was an exception, because it kind of smells like one--anyone remember watching this originally and if there was some current controversy IRL similar to the one presented?

At any rate, when I do rewatches there are very few episodes that I skip (not even "Infection" or "Grey 17", but "TKO" is one), but this is one of them--simply because these types of stories get me worked up, there's no good way to resolve the values-lock involved, and we never see or hear of that particular people ever again.

Last edited by Alioth; May 21st 12 at 12:35.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote