Old May 13th 12, 11:32   #50
Alioth
Commander

Re: EpDis: The Fall Of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I don't think I'm exaggerating in the slightest if I say that something like this happening there would've changed great many things, starting from the "neutral" position of the worlds of the League of the Non-Alligned worlds towards B5. Also, I would've expected at least similar behaviour towards Sheridan that he got after he returned to B5 with Lorien later on.
The neutral worlds were willing to help with B5's defense, and came together to form a fleet; a lot of this was hard work and diplomacy on Delenn and Sheridan's part, and a lot was the timely intervention of the Vorlons, but maybe some of it was because some species felt the place was blessed?
I'm not sure just how many directly witnessed the "divine intervention". Of those that only hear about it second-hand, there probably was a lot of skepticism, along with some believers. That there were some who were there, who saw or claimed they saw nothing (Londo might not have been the only one) would of course feed that skepticism as well.

I think the level of attention, number of pilgrims, and reveredness for B5 and Sheridan we do see was probably par for course for what such "miracles" (believe them or not) generally get. After Sheridan's "resurrection" later on, that attention and reverence grew though. What we're seeing are the beginnings of what might turn into a religion later on (I think "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" alluded to a religion around Sheridan's "divinity" growing further over the coming centuries--IIRC--and the "trinity" of "The One" did seem to imply that a religion would grow around their "great story", as I don't think it was coincidence that JMS presented it that way). But religions don't always (or even usually) take off among the masses overnight. Christianity didn't.

Last edited by Alioth; May 13th 12 at 11:42.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote