View Single Post
Old September 5th 11, 09:39   #9
Alioth
Commander

Re: EpDis: In The Kingdom Of The Blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
I don't think that in the B5 universe there is such a thing as a uninhabited habitable planet.If it's habitable there must be life there.Even if it's not sentient life the telepaths can't simply move there because they will interfere with the evolution on this planet.
Not so sure of that--the galaxy is a big, big place, with a trillion stars which would include a few billion Sol-like ones. (The show does makes the galaxy seem like a smaller place than it is, granted, which I may cover in a thread somewhere because it's something that does nag at me a bit, being a huge astronomy afficionado.)

Spoiler for The Technomage Trilogy:

Plus, in the Technomage Trilogy we see that the Shadows did wipe out whole inhabitable planet populations, such as Soom (where Elric and Galen had made their home among a primitive race)--not in this case with planetkillers, just a bunch of the usual battlecrabs (including Anna's) which bombarded and left no survivors. If no members of the races of such planets were left alive elsewhere to resettle their home at the end of the Shadow War, such a planet might be suitable for rehabitation by the Teeps.

There was also the former Markab homeworld.

I also saw their asking for a home world as reasonable given their situation, and while I agree that the blackmail was the wrong tactic (and a gross violation of good faith assumed in their being allowed to inhabit the station), they really weren't given the time of day when they asked for it before presenting the blackmail--which to me sounded like a very reasonable proposal. Maybe he shouldn't have tricked Garibaldi by saying he'd present something else to the council, to gain the audience, but have come right out and said "we need the Alliance's help in finding a permanent place to live". Given the Alliance mission and principles this would I think have been the appropriate entity of which to make the request (and we know Delenn would have thought so too)--but Byron thought the Council would reject the idea out of hand, and it appears he may have been right.

As an aside, I'm not sure why so many here seem to dislike Byron's character (other than perhaps this particular tragic mistake he made). He and his teeps were in a pretty difficult position and I think that, humans that they were, they did pretty much the best they could, as did he--with him having the added burden of his convictions against violence stemming from what the Psi Corps made him do. He came across as somewhat arrogant, but not pathologically so. I understand as a "mundane" myself ( ) the fear non-teeps had of the teeps, but the teeps couldn't help what they were, only what they'd do with their gifts. And on that note, the blackmail was a dangerous mistake, but up until that point they certainly weren't exploiting their gifts for advantage over others (and for most of their lives others were exploiting them for their gifts). They largely wanted to be left alone peacefully.

Ironic how the Vorlons, those "lords of order", in their creation of telepaths, actually sowed seeds of conflict (which was probably unavoidable) within the affected races. Couldn't they have foreseen that?

----

(vacantlook edit: I fixed the code for the spoiler tag for you. It's easy to forget the = in the opening tag: [ spoiler=] but it is required, and no other words but "spoiler=" and whatever the spoiler is for in the tag.)

Last edited by vacantlook; September 5th 11 at 20:37.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote