View Single Post
Old April 18th 11, 20:37   #86
GKarsEye
First One

Re: EpDis: A View From The Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I would say that jms is an intelligent dude, so any of most of his successful funny is intelligence-based. Most of the funny that fails is stuff done in a more slap-stick manner.
Writing, performing or producing "low" comedy like slapstick is harder than it looks, and is a skill like any other.

I was just trying to think of what other genre shows have really good humor and all I could come up with was Firefly and maybe a handful of moments from the early season of Buffy (and yes I realize they're both Whedon), but that's pretty much it. Original Trek had delightful character moments and I guess that's one of the reasons it'll always be the best. The sequel shows... oof, lame. Oh look, Data has a cat lol.. ugh.

Funniest B5 moment: "Can you hear me?!" "I hear you!" See that.. that's the thing he does so good. Tragi-comic, related to the story, performed by the greatest character actors on TV ever ever (not named William Shatner). Yeah, that's the stuff.

Not stupid Mac and Bo.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote