View Single Post
Old April 15th 11, 19:23   #9
KoshN

Re: Crusade: Other Voices - Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post

I disagree with "Firefly was a much better show, though." from your review. "Crusade" was/is definitely more my kind of show.
A matter of taste, I guess.

My problem with Crusade at the time was that it felt a bit derivative of Trek. My immediate impression was that it was JMS trying to do Trek better than Trek did, which, of course, he did. I was a little let down by it because it wasn't the watershed that B5 was. I have faith that it would have become that, but it started out feeling too familiar.
??? Because it was a road show, one where the ship went from place to place every week? That's just a superficial similarity to all Trek except DS9. I saw Crusade through my thoroughly-accustomed-to-B5 eyes, and so Crusade didn't remind me of Trek. See, I've thoroughly divorced myself from Trek and don't carry that baggage with me. When I watch B5 and Crusade, Trek, anythingTrek, is absolutely the farthest thing from my thoughts. When I watch B5 and Crusade I'm IN the B5 universe, and Trek does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Firefly felt new and exciting, very personable cast, neat direction, neat look, lots of new spins on old tropes. Just making them civilians was a huge shift. It grabbed me the instant I saw it.
I almost dropped it the instant I saw it ("The Train Job"). Firefly initially felt like a morph of a traditional western and "Wild Wild West," scooped up off the planet and put in space, complete with twangy music, being written by people who had little grasp of science, and a phobia of including aliens (the "only humans" edict), and that was a turnoff. What made it watchable for me was the likeable cast, the comedy and the banter.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote