View Single Post
Old October 9th 10, 16:14   #13
Estelyn
Commander

Re: EpDis: Whatever Happened To Mr Garibaldi?

The first line of this episode that struck me forcibly was Sheridan's, "The first obligation of a prisoner is to escape." That sounds so much like a quote that I googled it. I found something very similar in the Geneva Convention:
Quote:
A prisoner of war can legitimately try to escape from his captors. It is even considered by some that prisoners of war have a moral obligation to try to escape...
I was also reminded of Tolkien's words in his lecture "On Fairy-Stories", speaking of the derogatory usage many literature critics have for "escapist reading":
Quote:
Why should a man be scorned, if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and walk home?
We have several examples of prisoners in the episode, with varying reactions: Sheridan is trying to hang onto life and get away from Z'ha'dum; G'Kar is sitting rather quietly in his cell; Garibaldi is trying to escape by aggressively attacking his cell, unsuccessfully so. The depth of thought that is conveyed in this aspect of the story is stupendous.

Lorien is a name that comes from Tolkien's Middle-earth mythology. His character of that name is one of the Valar, the master of visions and dreams. How appropriate! His lines about the universe beginning with a word are quite Biblical, echoing the Gospel of John:
Quote:
In the beginning was the word...
Both Lorien and Sheridan are "in between", between tick and tock, life and death. That idea comes up repeatedly in this part of the saga.

I love the quote about "If you're falling off a cliff, at least you can try to fly." Interesting that Sheridan, in his video, uses that as a metaphor for falling in love! That brings Delenn back from her personal "in between" status, back to life and fighting the good fight.

That little bell that Cartasia rang strikes me as being quite ridiculous - it sounds so small and innocuous, but leads to such horrible evil.

Oh, and I can't neglect to mention Marcus' wonderfully Freudian line about "pike-al envy" - so funny!

Last edited by Estelyn; October 9th 10 at 16:16.
Estelyn is offline   Reply With Quote