View Single Post
Old September 15th 10, 18:48   #15
Estelyn
Commander

Re: EpDis: Ceremonies Of Light And Dark

I think it was a good idea to go in a completely different direction after the last few episodes. It's quite realistic to show that there are still Nightwatch people on the station that think their cause is worth fighting for. Those two leaders of the group are scary personalities, real psychos - brrr!

The use of a cheerful spiritual, almost a children's song, in the terrorist context is sinister. The fact that it ends "Now hear the word of the Lord" is symbolic of Nightwatch's feeling that theirs is a mission, akin to divine.

There's some good character development, especially showing something of Marcus' past. Clinging to memories of losses can develop a tremendous power over a person. I've often heard of survivors who cannot forgive themselves for being alive when others have died. However, even one who enjoys violence as little as I do has to laugh over his comment that his anger is no longer repressed! Oh, and he gets the coolest line: "You can get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 than just with a kind word."

Continuing the theme of prophecy, I like Delenn's comment: "Prophecy is a poor guide to the future."

Interesting to see Londo lecturing Refa that loyalty should be greater than ambition. And I love it when he describes the way the poison works!

I must say, I find Lennier's description of his love for Delenn to be typical for a young person, over-estimating himself. Romantic love is not high, noble and pure?! He definitely has a superiority complex! This leads to his later actions and character development.

I'm not voting, but I would say this episode doesn't rank quite as high as the last one; however, in terms of character and dialogue, it's very good - outranks any other TV show for sure.