View Single Post
Old September 11th 10, 16:49   #6
JoeD80
Commander

Re: how the characters and concept develop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
For instance, B5 was originally intended to be fairly small. I don't remember exactly how small - 500 meteres? A thousand? - and in the second season it 'became' five miles long, which meant that all the ships we'd seen zipping about were larger, too.
2.5 km I believe was the first figure; but the five mile figure was decided on before The Gathering. Joe mentioned it January 1993.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron1 View Post
the character of his late wife Anna Sheridan replaced Catherine Sakai in the overall story
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Catherine Sakai would not have filled the same role that Anna Sheridan did; instead Sakai was going to have had her memory removed
Reading over Joe's old posts I get the impression that Catherine's arc beyond the mind-rape had something to do with corporations strip-mining worlds with sentient life on them. Sakai also mentions the policy against this in an episode, which leads me to believe it was a setup for something down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
The main one, in terms of Sinclair's character, being that Sinclair wasn't Valen.
Joe said he came up with that about 2/3 through season one.

Quote:
1. In "The Gathering" Kosh I.D's Sinclair as Valen. so the idea that Sinclair is Valen was there from the start
That was added for the special edition of the pilot movie which was re-edited between season 4 & 5.

Quote:
2. JMS said a couple of times, mainly during the first 3 seasons of the show that the Babylon 5 show is a self contained story, with a star, middle and end - and that the ending of B5 hasn't change from the ending JMS planned all along (just some twicks here and there)
The ending was the station blowing up which is still there; just the reason changed. Joe also mentioned in the script books that he was heading toward "Movements of Fire and Shadow/The Fall of Centauri Prime"; Londo in the outline seems to be in much the same position - the Centauri break off relations with Sinclair and the Shadows are controlling Londo with the keeper (like the Drakh in the show). A lot of the details were shifted around, but it still went where it was going to go. The outline describes Sinclair & Delenn's child as creating an alliance and becoming a religious figure; much like Sheridan. Babylon 4 in the outline is taken to the future and used to defeat the shadows; in the show it ended up going to the past and used in the war with the Shadows then. Fluid details; arc still with a beginning-middle-end.

Quote:
maybe the narrative you refer to was a realiy early idea that was refined before the production of "The Gathering" but it sure cant be what JMS had in mind when he shot "The Gathering" and season 1
The outline referred to was written after The Gathering and around the time the first few season one scripts were being written.

Last edited by JoeD80; September 11th 10 at 17:04.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote