View Single Post
Old September 6th 10, 23:57   #27
KoshN

Re: Legend of the Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Perfectly relevant. Don't know if what you said above is what JMS said somewhere, but I don't believe it [1] <snip>
He did, honestly. Remember the Liandra was an old ship that was apparently haunted, and was even going to be Ďaliveí to some degree, apparently it was going to have a personality.
That doesn't sound good.

Quote:
The Valen was a new design to show co-operation between Minbari & Humans, and the flying brick thing wasnít a reaction to the design when he saw it, it was always in the script!

http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-16469
(The stuff about the Liandra comes from Chris Wren who designed it)
I didn't have a problem with the look of the Valen, i.e. that it was shaped like a brick. Looked a little Romulan in general shape, with the fluted Minbari bonecrest edges around the sides and back. My problem was how quickly it was dispatched by the dirty snowflake ships of the cronies of The Hand (corny name ). I just assumed that the Valen was outclassed by the dirty snowflake ships, and that the enemy knew exactly where to hit it and how hard to hit it.

Quote:
The dirty snow flake=new race.
Yeah, I know. I remember the movie, even if I haven't been able to force myself to watch it in years.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN
Some executives should be shot.
No argument here.

They didn't have a problem with beams per say. But they thought that seeing beams come out of her hands and feet would be too confusing to the viewer. That's from Chris Wren as well.

That whole Liandra weapons firing method was a fiasco. When they couldn't get the chair, they should have gone to a Whitestar style firing setup, not early Whitestar with the two Minbari in motorized chairs (unnecessarily complex, and we never saw what these Minbari actually did.), but latter Whitestar like they had with Marcus or Lennier doing the firing.

Quote:
Pretty sure he said something about finding first ones that were left behind, might have imagined it, but at the time I remember thinking wtf.
I'll address this in reply to Jan's post.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN
[1] He says stuff like that to put a good face on things. It's not the unvarnished truth, but is really just PR talk.
Yeah, It's the producer part getting the better of him, but really just the realities of a commercial marketplace so no harm, no foul.
Yes, but you have to take stuff said before the movie comes out with a grain of salt because of it.

Quote:
[edit] Forgot to add this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Personally, I didn't like the new oily, colloidal suspension look of space, or the pink cotton candy hyperspace with shakeycam. Why he has to constantly screw with the look of hyperspace, or come up with "quantum space" (in B5:TLT, from the Vorlons even though we can't go to that planet for a million years to be able to discover such things.), is beyond me. Seems to me that sometimes he just likes screwing with the fans to see if our heads explode. Not good. Bad JMS!!!
Apparently, (at least itís how the folks at atmosphere saw it) It was to carry the joke of the reporter puking up.
As Jay Leno has been known to say, that' a long way to go for a joke. Not worth it. Now, the B5 universe is saddled with it.

When you wrote "Apparently, (at least itís how the folks at atmosphere saw it)" were you also talking about what I called "the new oily, colloidal suspension look of space" ? I know that JMS wanted to tinker with the look of hyperspace to make it look more 3D and turbulent. I just wish he'd kept the color of normal hyperspace the same as in B5 and Crusade. Why pink? GAH!!!

Quote:
The original script just had hyperspace but as that was too familiar it was decided that it wouldnít be believeable sheíd react that way, so something new had to be created and quantum space was described as hyperspace but blue!!!!
So, DITCH THE JOKE!

Quote:
And I agree with you, jms doesnít view such things as very important itís the point of the story which is of overriding importance, this time it was a one off gag (and as a writer I canít blame him for that) but it does screw with the heads of a few fans.
Visual continuity IS important. It makes movies and TV shows that are supposedly part of the B5 universe, FEEL LIKE they ARE part of that universe. When you start screwing around too much, like the changing color of regular hyperspace, and the introduction of "quantum space," you RUIN the harmony, the familial feeling of the movies and TV shows. In B5, the texture of hyperspace evolved, but the color stayed pretty much the same. Then in Rangers, it's freaking PINK! If he'd just messed with the texture some more, I could have lived with that, but to step-change the color (sort of a burnt orange-red to "BAM!" PINK?) No. This was like the change in color of the jump points from B5 to Crusade, but waaaay worse. In Crusade, the jump point vortex colors were less saturated.

Quote:
The ever increasing size of the White Star is the classic example of that. He kept adding rooms and corridors then a bloody docking bay and hanger. : ) The arguments about that Iíve read were often very heated and just a bit funny at times. Pixel counting gone made lol.
I didn't have too much of a problem with that.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote