View Single Post
Old September 6th 10, 17:04   #25
Triple F
Ambassador

Re: Legend of the Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Perfectly relevant. Don't know if what you said above is what JMS said somewhere, but I don't believe it [1] <snip>
He did, honestly. Remember the Liandra was an old ship that was apparently haunted, and was even going to be ‘alive’ to some degree, apparently it was going to have a personality. The Valen was a new design to show co-operation between Minbari & Humans, and the flying brick thing wasn’t a reaction to the design when he saw it, it was always in the script! The dirty snow flake=new race.
http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-16469
(The stuff about the Liandra comes from Chris Wren who designed it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN
Some executives should be shot.
No argument here.

Quote:
The execs didn't want the Liandra to fire beams? First I've heard that one. The Enfali fired beams, for a few seconds.
They didn't have a problem with beams per say. But they thought that seeing beams come out of her hands and feet would be too confusing to the viewer. That's from Chris Wren as well.

Quote:
"First Ones" ??? or just other races. Had to be in Sheridan's voiceover at the very end. I'll have to check that out.
Pretty sure he said something about finding first ones that were left behind, might have imagined it, but at the time I remember thinking wtf.

Quote:
[1] He says stuff like that to put a good face on things. It's not the unvarnished truth, but is really just PR talk.
Yeah, It's the producer part getting the better of him, but really just the realities of a commercial marketplace so no harm, no foul.

[edit] Forgot to add this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Personally, I didn't like the new oily, colloidal suspension look of space, or the pink cotton candy hyperspace with shakeycam. Why he has to constantly screw with the look of hyperspace, or come up with "quantum space" (in B5:TLT, from the Vorlons even though we can't go to that planet for a million years to be able to discover such things.), is beyond me. Seems to me that sometimes he just likes screwing with the fans to see if our heads explode. Not good. Bad JMS!!!
Apparently, (at least it’s how the folks at atmosphere saw it) It was to carry the joke of the reporter puking up. The original script just had hyperspace but as that was too familiar it was decided that it wouldn’t be believeable she’d react that way, so something new had to be created and quantum space was described as hyperspace but blue!!!!

And I agree with you, jms doesn’t view such things as very important it’s the point of the story which is of overriding importance, this time it was a one off gag (and as a writer I can’t blame him for that) but it does screw with the heads of a few fans. The ever increasing size of the White Star is the classic example of that. He kept adding rooms and corridors then a bloody docking bay and hanger. : ) The arguments about that I’ve read were often very heated and just a bit funny at times. Pixel counting gone made lol.

Last edited by Triple F; September 6th 10 at 17:14.
Triple F is offline   Reply With Quote