View Single Post
Old September 6th 10, 04:48   #21
KoshN

Re: Legend of the Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Rangers didn't get low ratings becaused it looked rediculous. In fact, as the broadcast went on, it picked up more viewers each quarter-hour, if I remember correctly. The problem was the huge audience that of that football game that kept viewers away from Rangers. The west coast broadcast of Rangers had very nice ratings, but since the east coast broadcast's ratings were low, that's all that seemed to matter.
Oh, I'm aware of the story behind the ratings. It got the ratings it got on the West Coast because it was B5 related. That's what brought people to the show. However, at the time I saw many comments after it, from B5 fans about how they'd orchestrated a group viewing of other B5 fans and others to whom they'd recommended watching B5:LotR, and how they were embarrassed by how bad it was. When I was watching it by myself, I was thankful that I was alone and not with anybody to whom I'd recommended it. Saved a big ol' there! I kept watching it because I kept hoping it'd get better.

Quote:
I'm not disputing that Rangers had some problems. As you mentioned, having the Rangers' council look too much like the Grey Council was confusing, even to long time fans.
Why JMS does that to us, I'll never know. I suspect he's just a bit evil that way.

Quote:
Having Minbar look so different than every single other time we had seen it wasn't good either.
True, but that didn't bother me too much. We were seeing Minbar at night. <shrug> However, the pink cotton candy hyperspace with shakeycam bothered me. So did Minbari Nials flying backwards, and that fact that we only ever saw familiar ships and B5 in the distance. However, we did get to see MaintBots up close.

Quote:
And while I can appreciate what was trying to be done to set up David, not to mention several of his crew, as not quite fitting in in the Rangers, it was done too clunkily.
Yes, it was in a rather ham handed fashion. How'd you like the David connect-the-dots exposition, to explain things to the viewers?

Quote:
But I still found enough of the thing to be intriguing to make me want to see more.
I bet I could cut it down to a good 10 or 15 minutes. In that way, it's almost as bad as "Star Trek V - The Final Frontier" which I could cut down to only the camping scenes, and come out with a decent short.

Quote:
There were several characters I liked, the Narn engineer and the Minbari healer in particular.
Yes, they are two of my favorite characters from the pilot. My favorite character was Dulann, the XO. I felt bad for Andreas, with the lines he was given for his last B5 universe appearance.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote