View Single Post
Old May 26th 10, 23:11   #29
Estelyn
Commander

Re: EpDis: The Geometry Of Shadows

I must say, I would have liked to see more of the technomages in this episode - I found their part of the plot weighed less than the Drazi conflict. However, there were several Lord of the Rings references there that I very much enjoyed. The "Do not try the patience of wizards" is a wonderful variation on a great original quote. Also, Vir's encounter with the fiery monster reminded me of Gandalf and the Balrog - I almost expected Vir to say, "You shall not pass"! It was nice to see his bravery in the face of apparent perceived danger. I also chuckled over his mixed-up metaphorical speech on the currents.

Another Centauri is introduced who is significant for much of the story in the next seasons - Lord Refa. His obvious scheming is almost as creepy as Morden's polite attitude. He repeats what Londo said to Morden about the Centauris' "rightful place in the galaxy" - why do they perceive themselves in a role which they really never had? Is it a "big frog in a small pond" syndrome?

I like seeing Garibaldi getting checked by the doctor - this is not a sci-fi universe with instant healing. It takes time, and he has scars.

Most annoying detail - the orange blossom that Elric gives Sheridan. Ansara (whom I remember well from Star Trek) acts wonderfully, and I would have liked to see more of him, but of course he speaks the lines given to him by the author. I hope we lose all those orange references soon.