View Single Post
Old March 10th 10, 14:14   #8
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Comic book basis of Vorlon / Shadow conflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Shark View Post
You're welcome. Did JMS really say something about Dreadstar being an influence? I know he's mentioned his love for DC comics, and that he wrote a script for a Grimjack movie, another killer comic. Not sure what other comics he's discussed.

Another big similarity with Dreadstar is the tendency of governments to do whatever they think is in their interest, namely making war, while innocent beings get crushed underfoot and exterminated by the billions. That was the first comic I ever read, when I was ten. I've tried to find other sci fi comics that are as good, but never had any luck. Sci fi, mind you. Grimjack I always thought of as really dark fantasy.

Raw Shark

"Alright people, we've got a blind date with Destiny. And it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
The Shoveler, Mystery Men
Re: JMS citing Dreadstar, that is the way I remember it at least. Certainly I could be wrong so I guess you shouldn't take my word for it because I can't point to it on record. It's possible I read that but it wasn't true, or that I misremembered it (like maybe someone thought it seemed like a natural influence and said something like 'JMS was influenced by Dreadstar' and I then I didn't remember it right). Who knows.

Either way I knew there was at least comic like that and my inner-geek just need to know that so that I could come off as a big smart-ass to all my fellow Lost-viewers.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote