View Single Post
Old November 11th 09, 19:29   #20
GKarsEye
First One

Re: S1: Overwrought?

What the hell does overwrought even mean?

Sure not all of my friends, even the sci-fi types, got into B5, so what? Folks, it's just TV, it's not important. We all have different ways of killing time and brain cells with audio/visual entertainment.

And as much as I adore B5, if I were to care about how others don't appreciate cool entertainment things as much as I do, a TV show would be low on the list. Things like that record where Louis Armstrong plays songs by W.C. Handy and Bill Hicks would be way ahead.

My guess is there are two stylistic elements that might make B5 jarring to current, especially younger, audiences:

1. Most popular entertainment now is done in the visual and pacing style of movies. Close-ups, dynamic camera work, "natural" dialogue. B5, however, is more theatrical. It uses stage dynamics, so you get a lot of speechifying, flat and static placement of people and objects. On Lost or Battlestar Galactica, the camera moves to the person. On B5, the person walks into the camera's view, for example.

2. Older cast of characters. Everything is youth-oriented. Teenage space aliens, high-school vampires and their slayers, etc. B5 has people regretting things from decades ago and worrying about their legacy, and forgetting how to dance, etc.

Of course, I actually like that stuff.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote