View Single Post
Old May 26th 09, 06:37   #25
vacantlook

Re: Does any tv series / book saga / movie saga achieve B5's plot structure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post
I've heard good things from friends (who love B5) about Avatar. I'm just wary because I loathe anime and find most of it so incredibly dumbed-down and horribly acted. Could be wrong about this one.
As someone who super-totally loves Avatar The Last Airbender, I have to say if you think it's like anime, you're wrong.

First, Avatar is not anime. It's an American (Nickelodeon) produced cartoon that's only visually inspired by anime. I agree with you: I've tried watching various anime, but the plots are unbelievably boring. I guess maybe it's just something different culturally between Japan and America or something. The plot of Avatar is for American audiences; the show's co-creators/co-executive producers are American themselves, and, while like jms or Joss Whedon, they didn't write every word of the show, they were definitely the ones in control.

The voice acting for Avatar is really good too. I'll admit it: there were several moments in the show that got me to tear up some. Over the past year or so, I've gotten my best friend into watching Avatar. She's told me that she thinks it's so good that she forgets that it's animated and not real people when she watches it.

The plot is definitely not dumbed down. Avatar won a Peabody this year for how realistic, yet still kid-friendly, it depicts the complexities and struggles of war. Over the course of the show, they tackle things like war, the impact of death of one's parents, having an abusive father, trust, betrayal, redemption, forgiveness, and conflict between idealism and realism (i.e. can one remain a non-violent pacifist when the whole world is desperately looking to you to kill a tyrant to end a war; and the way they resolve that moral conflict is very satisfying, in my opinion).
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote