View Single Post
Old May 20th 09, 18:21   #14
squish
Lurker

Send a message via AIM to squish
Re: Does any tv series / book saga / movie saga achieve B5's plot structure?

Thank you SO MUCH for your replies guys... I'm gonna check out some of your examples, but then again, I'd kinda have to watch/read the entire things to get the feel of a story arc so mabye not... I'll definitely wikipedia them, though =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
The very nature of the TV and movie business makes it near-impossible to craft such a novel-like story, that's why B5 is such an exception.
That's what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to do something exceptional. It's a lot easier with prose because I can just sit and home and plan things out so I have a better chance, except I'm also ADD and a webmaster, so I feel the instinct to just throw up whatever crap I have on the internet whenever I'm done with a chapter, so now it's becoming like an online novel I guess. My idea is not only to be structured, but to be nonlinear, Books that you can read in many multiple orders (even any order) or even chapters you can re-arrange, to make different alternate story lines and different approaches to the over all world. I'm trying for seven books that cover one cycle of the known universe (imagine a septagon where you can start with any book and go around the circle, or just follow a path randomly through the books, and it creates a full story any way you go), with enough of a structure even beyond that planned that if my series turns into 800 books like discworld, they'll be extremely structured (if not fully planned) given the over all template and fit together like puzzle pieces. I want to just write all seven before publishing anything but I'm the last person on Earth with that kind of patience. I think I have Douglas Adams ADHD brain... I've put it online at http://frangles.com if you want to see what I've done so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
DS9, I believe the Special Features on the DVD tell us the plotting was done 1-2 seasons in advance for the first half of the series and 2-3 seasons in advance towards the end, so, while changing gears, they did aim for a specific direction, but, still flying by the seat of their pants to a greater degree than B5.
Yah my dad was like "oh look, they're trying to squeeze a little smigen of structure into DS9's last dying hours as a tribute to B5 where they stole the idea from... isn't that cute!" Incidentally, did anyone think the final climax was the biggest let down in sci-fi history? (spoiler alert). The final act of the greatest starfleet bajoran prophet of the galaxy was to essentially push the bad guy off a cliff. Something no one else alive could have done... Oh, oops, sorry, didn't see that pit of convenient deus ex machina fire there, maybe you should have been minding the gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Yes, Arc'd sseries cancelled before their story is done, is extremely frustrating
That's the benefit of prose=). It's also the benefit of my nonlinear idea, because if you read three books, you get a semi-conclusive story because any one is deisgned to be the ending book. I was even thinking having this arranged where you could click around in lots of complex ways online and read stuff you could never print in a book because the permutations would take up millions of pages...

Again thanks so much for your references I'll check them out...

Last edited by squish; May 20th 09 at 18:37.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote