View Single Post
Old May 19th 09, 16:39   #2
vacantlook

Re: Does any tv series / book saga / movie saga achieve B5's plot structure?

It's animated, so it's easy to be dismissed, but Avatar The Last Airbender was written with a definitive beginning, middle, and end. There are events foreshadowed in season one, including one particularly subtly that I didn't even realize until I read someone online point it out complete with a screencap, that don't occur until season two and three. The characters were designed to have definitive growth arcs to occur over the course of the story -- which is why the show's creators/exec producers wanted an actual kid to do the voice of the main character so that as they produced the show over the several years it would take to make it, the actor would grow up and his increasingly older voice would audiably mirror the character's growth as a person (though not mirror growth in terms of age itself). And the story was designed to go on for no more than three seasons; there was a specific culminating event that the show ended with that all the episodes of the three seasons were heading toward. There were some more stand-alone-ish episodes, especially in season one as the show was introducing the world and characters, but even a lot of them introduced little pieces of the story world and characters here and there that could initially seem less significant than they ended up being once those characters and locations show up again later in the show.

I don't know if it was intentional or just coincidental, but there's a bit of dialogue in late season two that makes me wonder if there might have been any B5 fans involved with the show: "It’s time for you to look inward and begin asking yourself the big questions: Who are you* and what do you want*?"
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote