View Single Post
Old September 29th 08, 17:42   #40
KoshN

Re: EpDis: The River Of Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipsis View Post
I gave this a C.

It really wasn't at all interesting. And while it was nice they did something with the Soul Hunter arc there isn't a lot to be excited about in this episode for me. It's cute in places, but it is still my least favorite of the original set of B5 movies.
Upon first viewing, it was also my least favorite of:
  • The Gathering
  • In the Beginning
  • Thirdspace
  • The River of Souls
  • A Call to Arms

...but since that time, it's grown on me and I find that I now like it more than Thirdspace. "To Live and Die in Starlight" came along in January 2002 to strongly claim the bottom spot on my list. And no, I don't call the Lost Tales thing a movie; it's more like a couple of tenuously connected B-threads, not even an entire, traditional B5 episode, let alone a "movie." If I was going to rank them all, including Lost Tales, it'd go like this, from best to worst:
  • In the Beginning - A
  • A Call to Arms - A
  • The Gathering - B-
  • The River of Souls - C+
  • Thirdspace - C- (mainly a CGI fest)
  • Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales - Over There - C- (because it was so thin.)
  • Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales - Over Here - D
  • To Live and Die in Starlight - F

I find that at least, The River of Souls looks like a Babylon 5 story (unlike "To Live and Die in Starlight" and to a certain extent Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales.). Also, I think this is one of Scoggins' best performances as Lochley. However, Martin Sheen's character, as Hypatia said, seemed drugged. I also thought the Ian McShane and Richard Biggs did very well in their roles. Not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Many agree with you on that point, myself included. And they had a good guest star to work with, and completely wasted him. Martin Sheen often plays rather subdued characters, but this one seemed... drugged.

An interesting premise that didn't unfold as entertainingly as I'd have hoped. I'm not sure why, either, but it just didn't seem to stand up to the rest of the series or the tv-movies.
Look at that opening in The River of Souls. THAT'S a B5 story. Now, go look at To Live and DIe in Starlight or Babylon 5- The Lost Tales - Over Here. Those two don't stand up to The River of Souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
I think that "The River Of Souls" would not be a bad story for an episode.Perhaps one of the reasons why we didn't like it much was that it was decided as a movie so the fans expected more from it.I personally didn't understand why so much prescious time of the film was taken showing that silly bar for virtual sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipsis View Post
Probably because it could have worked as a 45 minute episode.
No, that was just the B-thread, the minor story, and so it's traditional B5, plus, it's funny.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote