View Single Post
Old August 11th 08, 14:00   #26
GKarsEye
First One

Re: The Best Guest Characters in B5!

Quote:
So I'm listening to the episode soundtrack for Walkabout right now, and my nomination is for Erika Gimpel as Caitlyn (the spelling changes from place to place) in Walkabout. Babylon 5 is very musical, and has so many references to music and its importance. Her acting was very good, her character was soothing. Her singing? Wow. Not generally my style of music, but wow. Hell of a singer.
Be prepared to hold a minority opinion on that one. I remember her coming up in discussion before and people are not fans, and opinion I share.
Although, given my personal romantic and musical inclinations, one would think the idea of a sexy, wise but vulnerable R&B singer lifting the spirits of a tortured soul would play right into my fantasies and I would love the story. But the whole thing just felt clumsy and poorly executed to me, and a bit too corny.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote