View Single Post
Old September 13th 07, 14:22   #52
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Re: EpDis: Passing Through Gethsemane

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneth View Post
I don't buy the whole Christian dogma bit at all, so the episode was, to me, rather pointless. I consider any suffering out of religious conviction to be well-deserved and completely self-inflicted, unless it's a case of brainwashed kids who haven't been exposed to the world and its variety early enough.
Naturally I'm biased against that viewpoint... but I don't think the statement justifiably makes sense.

You are throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Martin Luther King
Gandhi
Maximillian Kolbe

All these people suffered fates that were as a direct result of their religious conviction being a force for good.

Similarly I don't believe atheists deserved to be flagellated or beaten to a bloody pulp or killed on the basis of their lack of belief.

Conviction is not the problem - intolerance and aggressive over-assertion of a viewpoint are... and that's true whatever the religion or even non-religion.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote