View Single Post
Old September 13th 07, 14:13   #51
hypatia
First One

Re: EpDis: Passing Through Gethsemane

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneth View Post
I don't buy the whole Christian dogma bit at all, so the episode was, to me, rather pointless. I consider any suffering out of religious conviction to be well-deserved and completely self-inflicted, unless it's a case of brainwashed kids who haven't been exposed to the world and its variety early enough.
You'd prefer a character who "suffers out of political conviction" then? Is that mental pain more noble to you?

A large part of brother Edwards panic was just dealing with the fact that he was a sick, cold-blooded killer. It wouldn't take religious conviction to at least partially unhinge anyone's mind. But Edwards? Edwards mind had been specifically wiped and replaced with a personality that was "programmed" to do good and help people. Your programming would virtually guarantee you'd have a very bad reaction to any revelation of your true past.

If he hadn't stumbled upon a monestary early after his wipe, he might have had no particular religious convictions at all. But he'd still be basically a "nice guy" who has suddenly realized that he was, truly, a monster before. And just what happened to "him"? How much of "him" is really still "you"?

But your comment wil make old Mighty happy. He's always getting on my case for blaming religion for everything.