View Single Post
Old August 24th 07, 18:47   #36
Skander
Lurker

Re: EpDis: Soul Mates

"Because I don't have a real sword handy." -- Timov

If that line didn't take you to the floor, you need to buy a sense of humor. Timov was an awesome character--stone-cold, witty, and yet very genuine.

I gave this story an A. It's just one of those episodes that makes me really happy. You've got a Londo story (already big points), a continuation of his famous "Pestilence, Famine, and Death" lines, a Talia plotline (scoring points again) and it was all very well-done. I even like the Stoner character--obviously I did't like him--but I drew an extreme DISLIKE of the guy so the actor must have done a good job. Having the character play off Garibaldi, who cared for Talia deeply, was good form. It's a rich character episode and the humor wasn't forced or awkward as is the case in numerous other episodes. This episode does a good job of fleshing out the universe even while not necessarily being overly important to the grander story arc.

To chime in on the Lyta/Talia argument. IMO Andrea is the stronger actress--which immediately gives her character an advantage. It was Lyta's story that was carried througout so I can see how many people would feel loyal to Lyta. I think Andrea would have done just as good if not better job were she to stick throughout the show. Talia had a presence in limited screentime that Lyta doesn't really have and had to work to get. You see mere glimpses in Seasons 3 and 4, and she really comes into her own in Season 5.

All that being said I wouldn't trade Pat Tallman's Lyta for anybody. From the episode "Walkabout" until "Objects in Motion", she makes a monumental ascendance on my favorite characters list. In the pragmatic sense she is the MOST important character in Babylon 5, yet is the one most under-valued and consistently under-appreciated. No wonder she later embraced Byron so quickly and vehemently since he was the only person who'd strike up a conversation without needing something from her.
Skander is offline   Reply With Quote