View Single Post
Old August 20th 07, 08:48   #28
GaribaldisHair
First One

Re: EpDis: A Distant Star

The whole thing about losing the beacon has no bearing on whether a ship has a jump engine or not it is the basis of navigating in hyperspace ... if you are driving across the desert, you can't just say "This road is boring, I'm going to head out across the sand and find my own way. I'll be OK because I have a big powerful engine."

We previously had a long discussion about the purpose of the beacons, probably over at JMSNews, and the general concensus appeared to be that the beacons (whether all jump gates or not) correspond to known, mapped locations in normal space. For ships with their own jump capability, it simply means that you can jump out of hyperspace without a gate (i.e. between beacons, for example). However, as long as you are in contact with the beacon network, and know exactly where you are in relation to the beacons, then you can easily calculate your exact position in normal space.

However, once you lose contact with the beacon network, jumping out of hyperspace puts you into unknown, unmapped territory so no star chart is going to help you find your way home.

Cake or death?

Last edited by GaribaldisHair; August 20th 07 at 08:52.
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote