View Single Post
Old June 16th 07, 03:02   #12
KoshN

Re: EpDis: Crusade: Each Night I Dream Of Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcD View Post
That, and (paraphrasing) "Great. Our first major battle with the Drakh, and Sarah missed all the excitement."

I think people only say things like this in the B5 universe..
The humor in this episode didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was beginning to enjoy the Gideon/Lochley banter/flirting. IMHO, those two can carry it. Where the dialogue seems to fall flat, to me, is often when Dr. Chambers is talking to Dr. Franklin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcD View Post
Although it's not quite in the same league as Ivanova telling ISN "I need to decide where my heart belongs before the rest of me can follow"
Agreed.

What bothers me is when JMS seems to use way too many words, has the scene go on too long and beats a simple subject to death. For example (Don't remember which episode this was in.):

From memory:

Gideon: "Read my mind."

Matheson: "Sir! I wouldn't!"

Gideon: "Sorry! Sorry. It was just a figure of speech. I didn't mean it to be taken literally."

1. Would Gideon even say such a thing to Matheson? Unlikely. That would be a button-pusher that he'd likely avoid in Matheson's presence.

2. Assuming Gideon was tired and it just came out that way, wouldn't Matheson know it was just a figure of speech? He would. These guys have worked together for awhile, haven't they? At most, it should just have warrented an annoyed look (no words) shot from Matheson to Gideon, to which Gideon would have replied "Sorry, figure of speech."

There, 20 words replaced by 4 and a look. That's the kind of stuff that bothers me, because it drags on and on, and it seems out of place and unnatural.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; June 16th 07 at 03:05.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote