View Single Post
Old April 26th 07, 00:49   #52
KoshN

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousy_Dodgers View Post
That might have been cool...though I am not sure what was wrong with the whole console approach. It is not as if you are going to aim visually in a space battle anyway when your target is a great distance away.
He wanted something different, something not the same as "Person pushes button on console and something gets shot." Part of science fiction is imagining what the future technology is going to be like, and showing that.

Also remember that she could touch an area and magnify it, but chances are if it was too far away to see, it was also probably out of weapons range.

The problem with the system as depicted was that it would be exhausting to the weapons officer in a heated battle. "Time out, guys. Our weapons officer's tired."

As for not aiming visually in space combat, it did have targeting aids. It wasn't completely manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Then there is me. I don't know why they had to have some lame new concept anyway. I always thought weapons should work like so:

Got sensors?
Good, get sensor lock on target.
Press Button.
Have a nice day.
Exactly. It seems like this is one area where when they mess with the tried and true formula, they screw it up. With the Excalibur, sometimes they tried to show the details of targeting and firing and it slowed things down and made it look unwieldy in combat. In To Live and Die in Starlight, punching and kicking doesn't look precise enough if you're firing weapons that don't seek (make course corrections in mid flight). The Liandra had pulse weapons that went on a straight line after they were fired.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; April 26th 07 at 01:05.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote