View Single Post
Old March 18th 07, 14:45   #23
Springer
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: In The Beginning

I think In the Beginning isn't bad for what it is, a 90-minute TV movie trying to tell the story of a two-year long interstellar war. I think its short length is one of its main problems, trying to cram in the war film aspect of humanity's battle for survival, the Minbari's search for meaning which they express through war with Earth when they should be expressing it against the Shadows, and setting up and referencing various plot points from the series, is really too much for ninety minutes. There's so much going on that some parts feel forced in an effort to fit it all in and make sense. Now, if they could have made it a three hour epic, they could have fleshed things out a lot more and wouldn't have had to rely on unlikely cameos from the main cast.

I really liked the way they used Londo as the hook into the story, and the ending is spine tingling, even though we know what is going to happen. I don't think it is a very good introduction to the series – too many spoilers – but watching it after the series I think is more rewarding.

My second favourite TV movie, after A Call to Arms.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote