View Single Post
Old January 15th 06, 23:12   #44
Joseph DeMartino

Re: EpDis: Passing Through Gethsemane

Quote:
If you do "kill" one personality, and "create" another, where does the soul fit in all of this? Does the soul die when the personailty does? Is a new one created?
Which is, of course, Brother Edward's question. His answer is that the soul remains the same - it must if it is possible, under any circumstances, for the original memories to return.

As for Brother Edward's "suicide" - I don't think that's what happened here, anymore that Christ "committed suicide". Either would have accepted it if their killers had changed their minds, if what they understood as God's plan could have been accomplished in some other way. (Jesus explicitly asks God to spare him the ordeal if that is possible. I rather doubt that Brother Edward would have cried, "No, you have to kill me!" if the mob had suddenly seen the light and decided against murdering him.)

Nor is it necessarily (or even probably) the case that Brother Edward considered what he did in his prior life to be "unforgiveable" in the theological sense. God's forgiveness requires only a real acceptance of responsibilty for sin and a genuinely contrite heart. The Black Rose Killer, had he simply been executed, would never have been able to provide either. Because he has been reborn as Brother Edward, he has that chance to save his immortal soul. I think Brother Edward saw his non-resistance to the mob, his leaving himself open to whatever that confontation might bring, leaving that in the hands of God, as a necessary act of atonement and apology - a perfect act of contrition as it were. But he didn't know for sure what would happen when they found him. He had to leave open the possiblity of a change of heart open for them, too. I think th whole event is far more nuanced than some people give it credit for. (Just as "Believers" has more colors than those whose own beliefs tell them the parents are simply wrong allow for.) But in the end it comes down to a commonplace that all professing Christians say almost every day, many of them without reflecting on the words, "Thy will be done."

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote