Thread: EpDis: TKO
View Single Post
Old December 27th 04, 00:07   #3
Ninja_Squirrel
First One

Re: EpDis: TKO

I don't like sports, especially boxing and other forms of fighting, but oddly, the Mutai doesn't bother me that bad. The part I don't like is that it is never explained exactually which races can participate in the Mutai and what disqualifies Humans. Also, are Humans the only ones disqualified? Is the Mutai a League thing, so Minbari, Centauri, and Narn are also excluded? Or, is it just Humans who can't participate? If so, is it about damaged pride knowing Humans bailed the others out of the Dilgar War? The concept is never fleshed out to my liking.

Also, it would be nice if the alien fighting styles were more...alien.

However, I love Ivanova's subplot. It may not deepen her character in a way that comes up later in the series, but sometimes character development is about coping with the short-term ordeals. I like learning about her family and her religious beliefs. It's the type of thing you would rarely, if ever, see on Star Trek except maybe in an alien culture.

I don't know why I like this episode when most people don't, but I would have to give it a B-.
Ninja_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote