View Single Post
Old October 1st 04, 21:51   #2
vacantlook

Re: EpDis: The Gathering

I gave "The Gathering" an A. It wasn't perfect, by any means, but I've always found it to be excellent, especially for a pilot-movie.

The first time I saw it, though I didn't quite get it the way I get it now (I was only 13 years old when it was first broadcast), but I was blown away. To that point, the major points of exposure to science fiction that I had had were the original Star Trek, Star Trek The Next Generation, and Star Wars. In part, I would even go so far as to say that I grew up on ST:TNG.

But then I watched "The Gathering," and my mind just kind of had a barrier taken away in terms of what I thought possible with scifi shows/movies. I liked the darkness of the sets, the loads of different types of characters, and the CGI space effects.

With TNG, the interior of the ship is endlessly bright and bouncy, but the station in "The Gathering" was dark. I think it helped set me up for a different tonality to the show as a whole: the universe wasn't pristine in Babylon 5.

In B5, only a few of the main characters were a part of the same organization. That certainly set up all the characters to have different perspectives and gave incredible potential for some sizeable and resounding conflicts. With ST, the conflicts all too often came from outside the group of main characters, be it from a guest character or from some situation the group as a whole suddenly found themselves in.

And then there's the CGI space effects. I think seeing Kosh's ship the first time was one of the highest points in watching "The Gathering" the first time. I never even conceived that a ship could look as interesting and different and complex as his did. It wasn't a model, and that gave it life to me. And the major camera zooms from far out to close in on C&C and vice versa were another CGI element of "The Gathering" that I really latched onto when I first saw it. It felt so significantly different than anything I had seen before, and it amazed me.

It was completely successful in grabbing ahold of me and keeping me as a fan of the show from that first viewing and onward.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote