B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9932)

hypatia April 17th 07 21:07

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by darth_librarian (Post 294848)
Funny that. With BSG and numerous Stargates they seem to like the space shows now ...

Yea, but I think it was about the same time when Bonnie Hammer announced the "new vision" for Sci-fi. I could be mistaken.

And didn't SG-1 have quite a good run? Best not to run a series until it's stale. The only reason I think Dr. Who can get away with it is that the Doctor changes over time.

Sindatur April 17th 07 21:24

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 294872)
Well, they cancelled SG-1, so after these last 10 episodes (205-214) air, all that's left is SG-A of the Stargate franchise on The Sci-Fi Channel.


And the two Stargate Movies, which will likely be aired on SciFi as well as released on DVD

Telepath April 17th 07 21:53

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
I actually gave this one an "A". I loved the wonderful new atmosphere and looks, the music was neat, and I think many B5ers underestimate JMS when they think he just pulled another super race outta his sleeves. LotR takes place during the 20-year period beginning with 2261, when Delenn says that the two great wars afterward would be the Telepath War and the Drakh War - the Hand is mentioned nowhere. Now my guess is the Liandra would have gone into another dimension, or the Hand was a means of the Drakh to destabilize the Alliance - or their new masters, after the Shadows were gone. Not enough info to judge conclusively or condemn JMS prematurely. Loved the rangers theme, too. And it had G'Kar... oh well, here you go.

The movie itself deserves a B grade, but since most of the other B5 movies sucked, I upgrade it to an A.

KoshN April 17th 07 23:50

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 294880)
And the two Stargate Movies, which will likely be aired on SciFi as well as released on DVD

Why do you think they'll be aired on The Sci-Fi Channel? Was this Sci-Fi's reaction to fan uproar over the cancellation? I thought it was going to be straight-to-DVD, and not on The Sci-Fi Channel.





Quote:

Originally Posted by Telepath (Post 294886)
I actually gave this one an "A". I loved the wonderful new atmosphere and looks, the music was neat, and I think many B5ers underestimate JMS when they think he just pulled another super race outta his sleeves.

The music sounded like generic "adventure" stuff, to me. I honestly don't know how anybody could rate this thing an "A." Compared to B5, it looked like an amateur production. The Ranger edict of "We do not retreat for any reason." was ridiculous. This thing looked like a saturday morning cartoon with live actors replacing the animation.


Quote:

LotR takes place during the 20-year period beginning with 2261,
TLaDiS (the Rangers pilot) is set "just under 3 years after the events of 'Objects at Rest.'"
Ref. http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countr...de/117.html#JS
So, TLaDiS is set ~October~November 2265, a little over a year before A Call to Arms. That would probably make the planned 5-year TV show (B5:LotR) take place 1/2266-12/2270, or a one year shift before Crusade. I thought B5:LotR (pilot through planned year five of the series) took place after the Telepath War. In "Objects in Motion (12/2262)" Lyta was going to give Garibaldi two years, so she would have come back to remove his block and fight the war ~12/2264. In TLaDiS, G'Kar said Lyta's "gone now." (i.e. dead), and she died in the Telepath War. In TLaDiS, nobody mentions anything about the Telepath War going on at the time. I think the Telepath War took place in 2265, and it was over by the time TLaDiS happened.


Quote:

The movie itself deserves a B grade
There were parts of this movie that sucked like nothing has ever sucked before. Parts of this movie could put black holes to shame.


Quote:

most of the other B5 movies sucked
So that means three of the following sucked?
In the Beginning
The Gathering
A Call to Arms
Thirdspace
The River of Souls.

IMDb
In the Beginning: Arithmetic mean = 7.9 (2,399 votes)
The Gathering: Arithmetic mean = 7.3 (3,073 votes)
A Call to Arms: Arithmetic mean = 7.2 (1,395 votes)
Thirdspace: Arithmetic mean = 6.9 (1,154 votes)
The River of Souls: Arithmetic mean = 6.5 (967 votes)
To Live and Die in Starlight: Arithmetic mean = 6.2 (848 votes)

Note what's in last place.

Telepath April 18th 07 10:04

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
Quote:

So that means three of the following sucked?
In the Beginning
The Gathering
A Call to Arms
Thirdspace
The River of Souls.

IMDb
In the Beginning: Arithmetic mean = 7.9 (2,399 votes)
The Gathering: Arithmetic mean = 7.3 (3,073 votes)
A Call to Arms: Arithmetic mean = 7.2 (1,395 votes)
Thirdspace: Arithmetic mean = 6.9 (1,154 votes)
The River of Souls: Arithmetic mean = 6.5 (967 votes)
To Live and Die in Starlight: Arithmetic mean = 6.2 (848 votes)

Note what's in last place.
Hi KoshN, I hope that's nothing personal... everyone his opinion, yes? :)

To comment on your arguments: I do not care for other people's opinion so much as others might do, so I don't care what's in last place.

I think ItB sucked flat out because it ruined suspension of disbelief by stretching coincidences too far so that it became fiction that is perceived as fiction. River of Souls was awful, as was A Call to Arms (Dureena could have sprung out of a D&D adventure). You got your three movies that sucked, imo.

But that's no discussion of course - you got your reasons for hating some movies, I got mine for rejecting others :)

raw_bean April 18th 07 10:05

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
Craziness, craziness!

People voting LotR 'A', and In The Beginning 'F'! Are we in Bizzaro-world or something? Me am no confused!

I can't believe ItB has more 'Failure' votes than LotR, even if one of them was admitted as a joke!

Telepath April 18th 07 12:07

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
Quote:

TLaDiS (the Rangers pilot) is set "just under 3 years after the events of 'Objects at Rest.'"
Ref. http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countr...de/117.html#JS
So, TLaDiS is set ~October~November 2265, a little over a year before A Call to Arms. That would probably make the planned 5-year TV show (B5:LotR) take place 1/2266-12/2270, or a one year shift before Crusade. I thought B5:LotR (pilot through planned year five of the series) took place after the Telepath War. In "Objects in Motion (12/2262)" Lyta was going to give Garibaldi two years, so she would have come back to remove his block and fight the war ~12/2264. In TLaDiS, G'Kar said Lyta's "gone now." (i.e. dead), and she died in the Telepath War. In TLaDiS, nobody mentions anything about the Telepath War going on at the time. I think the Telepath War took place in 2265, and it was over by the time TLaDiS happened.
Yes... I just wanted to point out that between the end of season 4 and SiL, there was no Hand War occurring in the galaxy putting the shadows to shame. Speaking of which...

Quote:

Parts of this movie could put black holes to shame.
LoL! :) Admittedly true... I hated the Liandra weapons system. And the fact how G'Kar relays the story of the force of light and force of darkness... it seems awkward in the B5 universe. But perhaps the series would have answered that question.

Quote:

I can't believe ItB has more 'Failure' votes than LotR
The problem with ItB is that it's utterly incredible to me. No matter how good it is in all its constituent parts, I think it ruins the B5 canon by stretching credibility beyond the breaking point.

RMcD April 18th 07 13:23

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 294893)

IMDb
In the Beginning: Arithmetic mean = 7.9 (2,399 votes)
The Gathering: Arithmetic mean = 7.3 (3,073 votes)
A Call to Arms: Arithmetic mean = 7.2 (1,395 votes)
Thirdspace: Arithmetic mean = 6.9 (1,154 votes)
The River of Souls: Arithmetic mean = 6.5 (967 votes)
To Live and Die in Starlight: Arithmetic mean = 6.2 (848 votes)

Note what's in last place.

I think the figure that really says it all is:

Babylon 5: Arithmetic mean = 8.8 (1,605 votes)

I think that's about right - somehow none of the movies seemed to manage to rise as high as the standards that had already been set within the series itself. Partly I think it may just be that they came too late in the cycle - remember that with the exception of the Gathering, all of them were filmed after Sleeping in Light, and after the season 5 pickup, at which point B5 arguably didn't have anything left to prove.

Sindatur April 18th 07 14:04

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 294893)
Why do you think they'll be aired on The Sci-Fi Channel? Was this Sci-Fi's reaction to fan uproar over the cancellation? I thought it was going to be straight-to-DVD, and not on The Sci-Fi Channel.

It's SciFi channel's show. All their "Straight to DVD" stuff ends up playing on the network.

GaribaldisHair April 18th 07 14:42

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 294954)
It's SciFi channel's show. All their "Straight to DVD" stuff ends up playing on the network.

Yeah .. since they've paid for it already, why wouldn't they show it.

And as far as the ItB stretching credulity to breaking point, I can see where that comes from but the problem is ItB is already loaded down with characters, and adding more would only confuse things ... not to mention probably stretch the budget to breaking point.

I am prepared to forgive the stretching because in all other respects I think it is a great piece of work.

And to get back on topic. LotR had some good ideas that were significantly undercooked, precisely because it was a backdoor pilot. If it had gone to series and these ideas had had the chance to be explored more fully then I think the movie would be looked back at more fondly. Sure it had some silly ones (the weapons thing!) but that would undoubtedly have disappeared come a series ... surely!

Unfortunately I never saw The Gathering as a standalone as it wasn't shown on UKTV until well into the run (possibly between S1 and S2 if memory serves). If I had, I am not convinced I would have much higher an opinion of it than I do of LotR. The Gathering (original version) is great in the context of leading into the series, but as a standalone it is fairly forgettable ,,, but without anything jaw-droppingly stupid.


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:14.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2008 B5TV.COM