B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: A Call To Arms (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9908)

vacantlook April 9th 07 03:49

EpDis: A Call To Arms

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for A Call To Arms
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for A Call To Arms

KoshN April 9th 07 04:31

Re: EpDis: A Call To Arms

Excellent. No doubt about it. The only thing that tarnishes it is Sheridan's stupid move of firing the main guns into the null space while the ship was still moving. Don't look now folks, but we've got no brakes.

RW7427 April 9th 07 14:10

I voted A, but I had a rough time deciding if it should be A or B. ACtA is a very good movie, but it just seems to be lacking a little something. I can't quite figure out what that something is though.

A_M_Swallow April 9th 07 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 294031)
Excellent. No doubt about it. The only thing that tarnishes it is Sheridan's stupid move of firing the main guns into the null space while the ship was still moving. Don't look now folks, but we've got no brakes.

He had little choice, you do not stop in space.

Galahad April 9th 07 17:56

It was tactical oversight. His main concern at the time of firing the weapon was not allowing the drakh ships fleeing that way, to escape. It didn't occur to him until it was too late, that he might need a very quick escape plan because he had been remiss about what might be about the other side.

Everyone makes mistakes, Sheridan is not a god.

Boxie April 9th 07 20:53

I gave it an, "A"! :DI really like this one!

GKarsEye April 10th 07 01:41

I can only really look at this movie as a prelude to Crusade. Since that series never really got going, I haven't felt a desire to re-watch it since I bought the DVDs.

KoshN April 10th 07 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_M_Swallow (Post 294076)
He had little choice, you do not stop in space.

Anderson did (stop in space), by firing the retros.

GaribaldisHair April 10th 07 08:24

And even if you can't literally stop (which I'll have to read up on) you can still come to a relative stop compared to another object in space ... in this case the null region.

Galahad April 10th 07 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 294147)
Anderson did (stop in space), by firing the retros.

I think the poster was referring to the fact that by firing the main guns, it forced the Excalibur to drift along it's forward course for a minute before they'd be able to fire the retros

KoshN April 10th 07 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad (Post 294160)
I think the poster was referring to the fact that by firing the main guns, it forced the Excalibur to drift along it's forward course for a minute before they'd be able to fire the retros

Yes, and that was me (the OP), and they were less than a minute from the null space and heading right for it when they fired the main guns.

KoshN April 10th 07 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by RW7427 (Post 294073)
I voted A, but I had a rough time deciding if it should be A or B. ACtA is a very good movie, but it just seems to be lacking a little something. I can't quite figure out what that something is though.

I rate "A Call to Arms" just a hair below "In the Beginning." The bit about Sheridan firing the main guns while close to and moving toward the null space is the only part of the movie that stuck out as bad, to me. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's a strong A, just not quite as strong an A as "In the Beginning."

dencor April 11th 07 08:13

Yes, ACTA was lacking that something that is hard to explain. ITB was a much better movie. More thought out but then it had to be. The battle scenes against the planet killer looked pretty bad at times. Or maybe it was the music that seemed to throw everything off a bit. And Sheridans hair ? Who had that idea to comb it forward ? To me it looked silly. As others stated earlier, even though Sheridan is not perfect. His decision to enter the null field was a bonehead manuever. I remember when I watched ACTA when it first aired. I was thinking......No he is not doing what I think he is about to do. Goodbye to the president of The Interstellar Alliance.
On the postive side of things, we were introduced to Galen and Durenna. It is a shame that we did not get a chance to see there story continued when Crusade was cancelled.

thanks
dennis

GKarsEye April 11th 07 13:37

Quote:

Yes, ACTA was lacking that something that is hard to explain.
It was lacking a successful Crusade series.

KoshN April 11th 07 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKarsEye (Post 294246)
It was lacking a successful Crusade series.

Nevertheless, I find 99% of that series enjoyable, even lacking a resolution. Crusade certainly had some great characters. :D

I have no qualms about watching A Call to Arms or Crusade today, and hope that some day Crusade gets a high quality resolution, not just a hasty tie-up.

Babylon5fan07 April 12th 07 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RW7427 (Post 294073)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKarsEye (Post 294142)
I can only really look at this movie as a prelude to Crusade. Since that series never really got going, I haven't felt a desire to re-watch it since I bought the DVDs.

First for RW7427 and of course everyone else. I wonder if the reason why this movie isn't an A+ because Evan Chen is the composer and Christopher Franke didn't come back. Watching the new Battlestar Galactica series especially the mini-series I understand what Evan was trying to do but I hate to say this but the music was terrible. The movie itself was GREAT! but I have to give this movie a B+ because not Franke in the movie. Plus as GKarsEye says it's a prelude to the crusade so I actually rate this more for the spinoff..I'm just really really really sad that the series never got off the ground but I'm glad that the the B5 finished the story a little more in the novels in the books...

[COLOR=#003399]The Long Night of Centauri Prime (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, Book 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003399]Armies of Light and Dark (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, Book 2)[/COLOR]

and of course... [COLOR=#003399]Out of the Darkness (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, Book 3)[/COLOR]
which are available at amazon.com or you can look for it at your local book store. Trust me these 3 books really are worth it in every way. It really puts the icing on the cake for the series.

RW7427 April 13th 07 02:56

The soundtrack to ACtA is actually pretty good, but that's not why I think there's a little something missing. I can't quite put my finger on what that is, so if anyone asks me exactly WHAT it is, I can't give them an answer. :lol:

Babylon5fan07 April 13th 07 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RW7427 (Post 294402)
The soundtrack to ACtA is actually pretty good, but that's not why I think there's a little something missing. I can't quite put my finger on what that is, so if anyone asks me exactly WHAT it is, I can't give them an answer. :lol:

For me it's the music..I thought in context of the movie it was ok at best but overall the movie was very good but the soundtrack left a dry taste in my mouth. I realize a lot of you like the ACTA soundtrack but for me it just didn't do it.

I wonder if its because the main Babylon 5 saga was finished and this was a prelude to the Crusade series?..I one thing I really miss Deleen in this movie..Is it the beard? Or watching Sheridan lay to rest in SIL and then showing up in this movie perhaps? Of course this movie is very dark too maybe that's it? It would be cool to find out what the dry taste in your mouth is for this B5 movie.

Alex

A_M_Swallow April 13th 07 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon5fan07 (Post 294410)
I wonder if its because the main Babylon 5 saga was finished and this was a prelude to the Crusade series?

A Call to Arms had an unhappy ending, that will have produced a large reduction in the amount of enjoyment it gives.

KoshN April 13th 07 14:02

Quote:

For me it's the music..I thought in context of the movie it was ok at best but overall the movie was very good but the soundtrack left a dry taste in my mouth. I realize a lot of you like the ACTA soundtrack but for me it just didn't do it.

To me, Chen's music added just the right amount of alien-ness to ACtA and Crusade (except for the end "music" from "Ruling from the Tomb" - the pops, boings, baby crying and dog barking was utter crap.).

Quote:

I wonder if its because the main Babylon 5 saga was finished and this was a prelude to the Crusade series?..I one thing I really miss Delenn in this movie

Well, not everybody could be in every movie.

Quote:

..Is it the beard? Or watching Sheridan lay to rest in SIL and then showing up in this movie perhaps?

Stuff is filmed out of order. You have to put it in context. No big deal.

In B5 Seasons 1 through 5 (2258-2262), Sheridan had no beard. In ACtA (late 2266/early 2267), he had one. In SiL (2281), he didn't. Nothing wrong with that. Guys do that all the time, grow a beard, live with it for awhile, get tired of it, and shave it off. Perfectly normal.

Quote:

Of course this movie is very dark too maybe that's it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_M_Swallow (Post 294431)
A Call to Arms had an unhappy ending, that will have produced a large reduction in the amount of enjoyment it gives.

Too dark? Nooooo. It's that "voltage" that's needed to get Crusade started. Some might say that because you know the Drakh plague is cured by the time you get to SiL (2281), it reduces the effect of the end of ACtA, by making that not dark. You know the cure is found so the peril is defused. Personally, I think that is partly true, but I would have been able to watch Crusade and enjoy the ride, i.e. enjoy finding out how they found the cure and what happened to them along the way. Enjoy the moment, people! If you get on a roller coaster, you pretty much know that you'll be OK when the ride ends, but you still enjoy it, right?

A_C_C April 13th 07 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 294435)
In B5 Seasons 1 through 5 (2258-2262), Sheridan had no beard. In ACtA (late 2266/early 2267), he had one. In SiL (2281), he didn't. Nothing wrong with that. Guys do that all the time, grow a beard, live with it for awhile, get tired of it, and shave it off. Perfectly normal.

In Season 5 and SiL Sheridan had the beard (but not in the "flash-forward" of "War without End").

GaribaldisHair April 13th 07 22:08

Welcome to the board A_C_C.

:D

Galahad April 13th 07 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_C_C (Post 294448)
In Season 5 and SiL Sheridan had the beard (but not in the "flash-forward" of "War without End").

You could argue that he actually had a beard... but that we don't see it because we are perceiving the 2260 Sheridan as he inhabits his future counterpart.

RMcD April 14th 07 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad (Post 294467)
You could argue that he actually had a beard... but that we don't see it because we are perceiving the 2260 Sheridan as he inhabits his future counterpart.

But you can just about tell, at the end of in In the Beginning when Londo turns the TV on and they happen to be showing a rerun of War Without End, that he doesn't have a beard there either..

Babylon5fan07 April 14th 07 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_M_Swallow (Post 294431)

Quote:

To me, Chen's music added just the right amount of alien-ness to ACtA and Crusade (except for the end "music" from "Ruling from the Tomb" - the pops, boings, baby crying and dog barking was utter crap.).

As far as the movie itself I still very much enjoyed the movie with featuring more of the Drakh plus it opened the doors for the Crusade series..of course the series wasn't able to be completed but that's where the centauri trilogy helped to tighten the loose threads from B5 show itself as well. Anway's that's cool that some of you liked the music but personally I would have rather seen someone else but the world wasn't created for everyone to agree on everything.

Quote:

Well, not everybody could be in every movie.

I realize that but it's still my opinion to want Delenn in the movie..She's my favorite character and I would have liked to see her there. I may be new to the board but I still know enough about the show to still want Delenn. (not trying to misunderstand what your saying it's just my humble opinion that's all.)

Quote:

Stuff is filmed out of order. You have to put it in context. No big deal.

I think you took my statement out of context..when I said that seeing Sheridan again after watching SIL it could have provoked a bittersweet response to some people who have watched the show..I realize that the show it filmed out of order it was just something that might help certain people who watched the movie realize why they had a dry taste in their mouth. Plus with the beard statement I wasn't saying that Sheridan having a beard was a problem it's just that his beard is quite different than what it looked like in season 5 plus I think it's even different than SIL even. I have a mustache from time to time and even in my security job I wish I could grow a beard but can't but it had nothing to do with the series it was just an observation that's all

Quote:

Too dark? Nooooo. It's that "voltage" that's needed to get Crusade started. Some might say that because you know the Drakh plague is cured by the time you get to SiL (2281), it reduces the effect of the end of ACtA, by making that not dark. You know the cure is found so the peril is defused. Personally, I think that is partly true, but I would have been able to watch Crusade and enjoy the ride, i.e. enjoy finding out how they found the cure and what happened to them along the way. Enjoy the moment, people! If you get on a roller coaster, you pretty much know that you'll be OK when the ride ends, but you still enjoy it, right?

I never said it was too dark..I said was it was very dark...too dark no. Again this is my humble opinion nothing to do with yours. I'm not on this site to fight with anyone I'm just pointing out that IMHO it's a very dark movie. People enjoy watching the new Battlestar Galactica as well but if anyone says it isn't darker than the original than they are lying but here it's different if you don't think it's dark great and if it is dark great as well. Besides just because a show is dark doesn't mean it isn't good. I am enjoying the moment but we are all here to analyze the show on our own opinons. Watching B5 to me is like a jigsaw puzzle. Watching many sci fi shows seem to be the same they are very linear but what I love about B5 each episode may reveal a spoiler but when you watch the whole show it's like putting all the pieces together. I too love little spoilers and finding out how point B got to point C or whatever. Either way I'm sure most people agree that the Drakh are dark characters..besides my ex-girlfriend was quite frightened by the Drakh. I hope I'm not nitpicking but I felt like some people are nitpicking towards my opinion. Spelling Delenn wrong is one thing that I didn't get upset about and I'm not even getting upset here it's just that I have certain opinions and I'm sticking with them. I love this board and going to continue to post messages as long as I don't of course make a remark that is vulgar or desparages towards another person. I'm having fun..YeAH:beer:

GaribaldisHair April 14th 07 07:51

[thread-drift]
I have had a beard for almost 20 years, and it has changed a number of times over that period. Sometimes I wear a full beard (but kept pretty short), sometimes a goatie (my favourite, which I am wearing at the moment), sometimes I get rid of the moustache altogether and just have half a goatie.

Look at photos of me from the last 20 years and you will see various forms at various times ... and where it used to be brown and ginger (thanks Dad!) it is now brown, ginger and grey.

[/thread-drift]

KoshN April 15th 07 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_C_C (Post 294448)

Time to rewatch the DVDs. If only I had the time.....

Quote:

I think you took my statement out of context..when I said that seeing Sheridan again after watching SIL it could have provoked a bittersweet response to some people who have watched the show..I realize that the show it filmed out of order it was just something that might help certain people who watched the movie realize why they had a dry taste in their mouth. Plus with the beard statement I wasn't saying that Sheridan having a beard was a problem it's just that his beard is quite different than what it looked like in season 5 plus I think it's even different than SIL even.
IIRC: In Season 5 (2262), Sheridan's beard had a lot of red in it. In ACtA (2267), he's older and greyer, and so is his beard (sort of salt & pepper). In SiL, it's 2281, and it's greyer. Makes sense. Somebody watching in an order that is not Season 5 thru Objects at Rest, ACtA, and then SiL, has to realize what years those are supposed to take place. Me, I can watch any of them in any order and it doesn't bother me in the least, because I know when they're taking place.

Quote:

I never said it was too dark..I said was it was very dark...too dark no. Again this is my humble opinion nothing to do with yours. I'm not on this site to fight
Nobody's fighting. I was replying to you and A_M_Swallow.

Quote:

...with anyone I'm just pointing out that IMHO it's a very dark movie.
I was also saying that, it's not very dark IF you've seen SiL prior to ACtA (SiL aired before ACtA.) because you know the plague gets cured by 2281. Otherwise, how would Dr. Franklin, who was on Earth when the plague was released into Earth's atmosphere in 12/2266, be on Mars in 2281? That mitigates the darkness of the ending of ACtA.

Quote:

People enjoy watching the new Battlestar Galactica as well but if anyone says it isn't darker than the original than they are lying but here it's different if you don't think it's dark great and if it is dark great as well. Besides just because a show is dark doesn't mean it isn't good. I am enjoying the moment but we are all here to analyze the show on our own opinons.
I think you're being oversensitive here. Nobody is trying to overrule or silence anybody else, or say that the other person is wrong, Also, I don't want to have to preface everything I say, that's the least bit a judgement call, with "IMHO." I'm just saying that the ending of ACtA isn't as dark as some people are making it out to be and giving the reason why I think so. Feel free to disagree, but at least state WHY you disagree.

Quote:

I hope I'm not nitpicking but I felt like some people are nitpicking towards my opinion. Spelling Delenn wrong is one thing that I didn't get upset about and
I'm not nitpicking. Trust me, you haven't even gotten a whiff of nitpicking. Go on rastb5m if you want to see nitpicking by some professional pedants. I just quietly corrected the spelling in the quote, giving you the chance to silently correct it, if you wanted to. I didn't call you on it. I didn't say "Hey, that's Delenn NOT Deleen." I just quietly corrected it in the quote. Trust me, that's as "kid gloves" as it gets. Also, it's against my nature to leave something wrong in a quote, if I notice it. I can't refrain from making it right.

A_C_C April 15th 07 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 294593)
Time to rewatch the DVDs. If only I had the time.....

Sci-Fi just emitted the full series here, so I have it pretty fresh.

Crusader August 26th 07 18:59

this was witout a doubt the best B5 film made. Shame Crusade didnt last

Elipsis August 18th 08 19:26

I remembered really liking this film, but now that I've seen it again I found myself rather disappointed. The CGI and premise of the story were great, but the execution could've been pulled off a lot better and I ended up feeling that this movie was just average (C+).

I found myself very put off by the music, and as it turns out I go look at the lurker's guide and find that apparently is one of the major criticisms of the film. A certain degree of intensity and drama was attainable here, but I found myself not getting as into it as I wanted to be.

(Also, if Galen can tell the thief woman to come along just to tell Sheridan to pick the the sneaky target, couldn't he just tell Sheridan where to fire?)

dreamer August 10th 09 15:49

For some reason I hadn't seen this movie before, and considering how many times I watch through the entire show every year it's downright strange how I've managed to miss watching this. I've got the big universe dvd box, so it's right there in front of my face... but... *shrug*

The story was pretty good overall but as a movie and even from a fan's perspective, the movie felt oddly uneven. Amateurish even. I'll attribute huge amounts of that to the absolutely abysmal soundtrack that had me giggling like a teenage girl after someone says "p*nis". I prolly haven't heard a worse soundtrack than Chen's work with this and the Crusade series. I wonder if the guy is still at making "music".

Still, it was damned great to see the old gang again in something "new". Sheridan looked great but acted a bit too much like a crazy old kook and Garibaldi was a tad too mellow from... let's say the first half of season 5, where I consider him at his best.

Mercury August 11th 09 21:54

As many others before me in this thread I loved the movie and I even gave it an A, but like others, it's a problematic A, only for the music, that horrible bongo banging music. It killed 90% of the fun in Crusade, here it wasn't as powerful a distraction, but a pain none the less. I simply can't understand who would pay anyone to make that noise...

Other than that I loved every bit of it.

Galahad August 11th 09 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury (Post 348501)
As many others before me in this thread I loved the movie and I even gave it an A, but like others, it's a problematic A, only for the music, that horrible bongo banging music. It killed 90% of the fun in Crusade, here it wasn't as powerful a distraction, but a pain none the less. I simply can't understand who would pay anyone to make that noise...

I think jms was experimenting... Evan Chen is an eastern composer. Here in the West we only have 24 major and minor keys in music. Oriental music has a few more which to our ears probably sound like bum notes.

Jms has always tried to push the envelope with what can be done to improve a story using the various tools in television production. He didn't play safe, he tried to be daring... he gambled and it didn't pay off.

I think we were extremely fortunate that 90% of the time his instincts were right and B5 was a lot better for it.

This was one time that the gamble didn't work... but I won't hold it against him because at the end of the day he was specualting to accumulate in terms of performance and dramatic effect.

Sindatur August 11th 09 22:15

Quote:

I never understood such revulsion to the Crusade music. It was strange the first time through, but, I grew to appreciate it fit the new series perfectly

Galahad August 11th 09 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 348505)
Quote:

I never understood such revulsion to the Crusade music. It was strange the first time through, but, I grew to appreciate it fit the new series perfectly

But therein lies a problem... when it's an established series, new music can grow on you (B5's music consistently changed but because in the first series it was dynamic, it hit the ground running). Crusade had no such advantage, it was something new and unusual from scratch and didn't really have a chance to grow on you in a single run.

But then Crusade was shot down in flames before it even left the nest.

Executives are pooheads!

Sindatur August 11th 09 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad (Post 348509)
Quote:

Quote:

But therein lies a problem... when it's an established series, new music can grow on you (B5's music consistently changed but because in the first series it was dynamic, it hit the ground running). Crusade had no such advantage, it was something new and unusual from scratch and didn't really have a chance to grow on you in a single run.

But then Crusade was shot down in flames before it even left the nest.

Executives are pooheads!

Yes, suits are.

It was strange, and perhaps a bit jarring, but, I never found it objectionable like so many did. I seen/heard many people absolutely horrified by it. Of course, I didn't loathe Byron's gang and their "We Will All Come Together In a Better Place..." or the JMS written song that Dr. Franklin's Caitlin sang either. Byron's Gang in general I enjoyed being part of the series, because you were supposed to dislike their characters, where other people felt they really hurt the show tremendously.

Jade Jaguar August 11th 09 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 348516)
It was strange, and perhaps a bit jarring, but, I never found it objectionable like so many did. I seen/heard many people absolutely horrified by it. Of course, I didn't loathe Byron's gang and their "We Will All Come Together In a Better Place..." or the JMS written song that Dr. Franklin's Caitlin sang either. Byron's Gang in general I enjoyed being part of the series, because you were supposed to dislike their characters, where other people felt they really hurt the show tremendously.

Though we disagree in the political thread, I agree completely here. :eek:

Chen's music was strange and jarring, and quite a change from Franke. But I liked it quite a bit, even though I don't like "industrial" music, which it resembles. I particularly liked it in the battle scenes.

Sindatur August 12th 09 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar (Post 348523)

Though we disagree in the political thread, I agree completely here. :eek:

You can find common ground in B5, even with the most lunatic fringes in politics. Though Capt. Dayton (I think that was the poster's handle) even found a way to bring his POlitical disagreements into his watching :eek:

KoshN August 12th 09 00:34

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly! ...well except the awful noise at the end of "Ruling from the Tomb" (baby crying, dog barking, etc.). Go have a listen and you'll know what I mean, the stuff over the end credits. Other than that, I completely agree with Sindatur.

From memory, I haven't watched Crusade for probably a couple of years now:
I especially like the music at the end of "The Needs of Earth" as Gideon is walking down the hall, upon leaving the datacrystal with Dureena. I also like the music at the end of "Appearances and Other Deceits" as Gideon is recording the messages for the families of the two fallen crewmen, and the music as Max is reading the back of the photo of Mr. Kitty, which Cynthia had just sent him. Great stuff!

ALeafOnTheWind August 12th 09 12:23

Quote:

I agree. I thought the music was great.