B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   Non-B5 books, TV & films (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Dresden Files (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9870)

Demonn December 5th 08 17:14

Re: The Dresden Files

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 333254)
The Thomas spin off book? What??? What are you talking about? ISBNs please.

Jim Butcher did a little 70 some page book called Backup. I guess he did it to give more information about Thomas since people love Vampires so much. I think it takes place right after Small Favor.

I paid 20 bucks for it and finished it in about 30 minutes... probably should of just read it in the store. :p

Demonn December 5th 08 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 333254)
Well, that'll certainly be different.

Morgan and Dresden still hate each other but they're starting to get along much better now... They haven't tried to kill each other in ages. :p

The new book is called Turn Coat and it's about somebody needing Harry's help to clear his name. Hmmmmm...

KoshN December 6th 08 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 333408)
Morgan and Dresden still hate each other but they're starting to get along much better now... They haven't tried to kill each other in ages. :p

The new book is called Turn Coat and it's about somebody needing Harry's help to clear his name. Hmmmmm...

I just put "Small Favor," "Turn Coat," "Backup" and "Welcome to the Jungle" in my Amazon shopping cart. Now, I wait for payday.

Demonn December 17th 08 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 333443)
I just put "Small Favor," "Turn Coat," "Backup" and "Welcome to the Jungle" in my Amazon shopping cart. Now, I wait for payday.

I'm still debating about getting Welcome to the Jungle... let me know what you think about it then.

Demonn January 31st 09 18:55

I'm getting sick of waiting for April... :(

KoshN March 1st 09 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 331355)
Well I liked 7 the most so far. I love it when they bring in the White Council.

Finished 7 (Dead Beat) a couple of days ago. When you said "they bring in the White Council." , I thought you meant the Senior Council, not just five Wardens (two strong ones, one medium, and two fledglings).

Mouse is really turning out to be a great dog. :D Really took care of Cassius/Liver Spots. CRUNCH! Go Mouse!!! :D Butters really stepped up to the plate, as well. :)

Regarding Sue, well Harry doesn't do stuff halfway, does he? That was an inspired bit of magic! Damned impressive!

KoshN March 1st 09 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 333835)
I'm still debating about getting Welcome to the Jungle... let me know what you think about it then.

Welcome to the Jungle and Backup arrived about a week ago, but since I was finishing up Dead Beat (7), I didn't do much more than glance at them. Welcome to the Jungle is going to be a bit of an adjustment for me because it takes place before Storm Front (1) and I'm so much farther down the road, now. Anyway, I'll let you know what I think about it.

Demonn March 2nd 09 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 337151)
Finished 7 (Dead Beat) a couple of days ago. When you said "they bring in the White Council." , I thought you meant the Senior Council, not just five Wardens (two strong ones, one medium, and two fledglings).

Well it was more than they've showed before. :p If it makes you feel better Turn Coat will deal more with the Senior Council. Jim Butcher has 3 (out of 5) chapters up on his website so far and Morgan gets framed for killing one of them. ;)

I think Harry is finally going to come into his power in the next book and officially enter the "Heavy Weight Division." I pity da fool dat messes with Harry Dresden. :p

Here's the link if you want to read those chapters...
http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/11/

Spoiler for for Turn Coat:
Aleron LaFortier goes buh bye.

Quote:

Mouse is really turning out to be a great dog. :D Really took care of Cassius/Liver Spots. CRUNCH! Go Mouse!!! :D Butters really stepped up to the plate, as well. :)

I didn't like the name "Mouse" at first but it's grown on me.

Butters is a great character... It just adds an extra layer of FUNNY since his doctor is a medical examiner. :p

Spoiler for for Proven Guilty:
Just a heads up... Mouse gets hit by a van in the next book but he's ok. It happened and I almost wanted to stop reading but then a couple chapters later you find out he's still allive. It'll take more than a van to put him down.

Quote:

Regarding Sue, well Harry doesn't do stuff halfway, does he? That was an inspired bit of magic! Damned impressive!

Yeah... Thanks to Sue that was my favorite book. I was about halfway through that book when somebody started talking to me about that part. They ruined it a little but then it only encouraged me to read faster till I got to that part. "My baby can move." :p

KoshN March 2nd 09 18:16

Thanks for hiding those spoilers. I'm going through the books in order, and am just starting "Proven Guilty." Keep hoping Harry gets a proper Warden's sword, soon.

Demonn March 3rd 09 01:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 337286)
Thanks for hiding those spoilers. I'm going through the books in order, and am just starting "Proven Guilty." Keep hoping Harry gets a proper Warden's sword, soon.

Spoiler for the whole sword thing... :p:
Harry still doesn't have a Warden sword yet... The cover to Turn Coat shows him with a sword but it could be Amoracchius. In White Knight Luccio explains why he still doesn't have one. She used to make them & since her body switch she doesn't think she can make anymore.

KoshN March 4th 09 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 337343)
Spoiler for the whole sword thing... :p:
Harry still doesn't have a Warden sword yet... The cover to Turn Coat shows him with a sword but it could be Amoracchius. In White Knight Luccio explains why he still doesn't have one. She used to make them & since her body switch she doesn't think she can make anymore.

Had to look at that one.

Luccio should still give it a try. While her body may now be young and, IIRC, a babe, her knowledge is still there.

Demonn March 6th 09 19:02

In Small Favor she finally she got back into the action so hopefully he'll get it in the next book. I don't know how well he'll handle a blade though. :p

KoshN March 6th 09 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 337615)
In Small Favor she finally she got back into the action so hopefully he'll get it in the next book. I don't know how well he'll handle a blade though. :p

Meaning you don't know how he'll handle it because of his bad hand? {Yes, I know that the hand's getting better, little by little.] Well, he has his sword cane. He's used it in the past.

or

Do you mean you don't know how he'll handle his Warden's duties, e.g. lopping off heads wizards who violate the Laws of Magic?

BTW, my paperback of "Small Favor" arrived in today's mail. Surprised me, because it's 3/4" taller than all of the other Dresden Files paperbacks. MSRP is up, too, US $9.99.

Demonn March 9th 09 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 337623)
Meaning you don't know how he'll handle it because of his bad hand? {Yes, I know that the hand's getting better, little by little.] Well, he has his sword cane. He's used it in the past.

His hand is getting better & better in each book... I think it's almost completely functional in Small Favor but it's still badly scarred.

I was talking about him actually using a sword. I think he mentioned in one of the recent books that it's not his style... I could be mistaken though. I'm sure he'd use it if he got one though.

Quote:

or

Do you mean you don't know how he'll handle his Warden's duties, e.g. lopping off heads wizards who violate the Laws of Magic?

They touch on that subject in Proven Guilty. ;)

Quote:

BTW, my paperback of "Small Favor" arrived in today's mail. Surprised me, because it's 3/4" taller than all of the other Dresden Files paperbacks. MSRP is up, too, US $9.99.

I'll trade you my hard cover for it :p ... I hate hard covers. They need to release paperbacks first, you would think they'd be easier to print but I guess they couldn't charge you 20 bucks then. :p

Demonn April 10th 09 16:33

Turn Coat just replaced book 4 as my favorite Dresden book. It was really, really good, and just from reading it I could get the feel that there will be many more books to come. He stil doesn't get a sword yet though... he has one on the cover but nope... NO SWORD.

KoshN April 11th 09 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 340174)
Turn Coat just replaced book 4 as my favorite Dresden book. It was really, really good, and just from reading it I could get the feel that there will be many more books to come.

Good. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 340174)
He still doesn't get a sword yet though... he has one on the cover but nope... NO SWORD.

What a tease! :rolleyes:

I got Turn Coat two days ago and you're already done reading it?

KoshN April 11th 09 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 337818)
His hand is getting better & better in each book... I think it's almost completely functional in Small Favor but it's still badly scarred.

I was talking about him actually using a sword. I think he mentioned in one of the recent books that it's not his style... I could be mistaken though. I'm sure he'd use it if he got one though.

Well, like I said, he's used his sword cane before. He also tried to use Amoracchius that one time (bad idea).

Quote:

They touch on that subject (how he'll handle his Warden's duties, e.g. lopping off heads wizards who violate the Laws of Magic?) in Proven Guilty. ;)

Yes, that's where I am now.

Quote:

I'll trade you my hard cover for it :p ... I hate hard covers. They need to release paperbacks first, you would think they'd be easier to print but I guess they couldn't charge you 20 bucks then. :p

OTOH, hardcovers use better paper than paperbacks. Ever notice how quickly some paperback pages yellow and become fragile? Also, the ink used in paperbacks seems to be almost erasable.

Demonn April 11th 09 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 340265)
I got Turn Coat two days ago and you're already done reading it?

I took off work. ;)

KoshN April 12th 09 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 340270)
I took off work. ;)

And here I thought you just absorbed books like Willow did in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", when she absorbed the knowledge of that pile of "dark magic" books and became dark Willow. ;)

Me, I'm lucky to get a few pages read per day. Too much stuff going on.

Demonn April 13th 09 16:54

Well I spent how many months telling people I was waiting for this book so when it came out I took off & everybody I know had enough good sense to leave me the &^@! alone till I finished it. :p My nephew was a little annoying but I can't blame him for being a kid.

"What are you doing?"
"Reading."

"What are you doing?"
"Reading..."

"What are you doing?"
"READING!"

"What are you doing?"
"READING!!!"

"What are you doing?"
"I'm READING!!!!!"

"WHY?"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :p

Demonn April 13th 09 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 340268)
Well, like I said, he's used his sword cane before. He also tried to use Amoracchius that one time (bad idea).

The sword cane is mentioned and slightly used in Turn Coat... not by Harry though. I like how he never even picked up a sword in the book and yet there he is... holding one..... on the cover. Hmmm...

The cover to Small Favor shows him holding a single action revolver too... pretty sure his 44 isn't THAT old. ;)

& I don't think he's ever worn a hat... yet he's wearing one on every cover. It looks cool... but that's not how he rolls. :p Trench coat yes, staff yes, 44 occasionally. No cowboy hat though. He wore cowboy boots in a couple books though.

The guy who does the cover needs to get his $hit together. :p

KoshN April 14th 09 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 340420)
Well I spent how many months telling people I was waiting for this book so when it came out I took off & everybody I know had enough good sense to leave me the &^@! alone till I finished it. :p My nephew was a little annoying but I can't blame him for being a kid.

"What are you doing?"
"Reading."

"What are you doing?"
"Reading..."

"What are you doing?"
"READING!"

"What are you doing?"
"READING!!!"

"What are you doing?"
"I'm READING!!!!!"

"WHY?"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :p

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

KoshN April 14th 09 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 340421)
The sword cane is mentioned and slightly used in Turn Coat... not by Harry though. I like how he never even picked up a sword in the book and yet there he is... holding one..... on the cover. Hmmm...

Like I said, a tease for those of us who are expecting Warden Harry to get a freaking sword!

Quote:

The cover to Small Favor shows him holding a single action revolver too... pretty sure his 44 isn't THAT old. ;)

Well, you could buy a Ruger Single Action 44 today, but you'tre right, it wouldn't look as old as the one pictured on the cover. That looks Civil War era.

Quote:

& I don't think he's ever worn a hat... yet he's wearing one on every cover. It looks cool... but that's not how he rolls. :p Trench coat yes, staff yes, 44 occasionally. No cowboy hat though. He wore cowboy boots in a couple books though.

Hasn't he worn a Cubs hat as part of a disguise, or maybe I'm thinking of Murph.

Quote:

The guy who does the cover needs to get his $hit together. :p

TRUE! Well, at least the glowing runes on his staff are the right color.

Demonn October 3rd 09 05:14

I'm liking the new covor. ;)
http://www.jim-butcher.com/pics/prod...er_106-300.jpg

Demonn April 5th 10 05:00

Changes comes out Teusday for those of you reading the books... the first 4 chapters are also available online if anybody wants to check it out.

KoshN April 5th 10 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 350954)

Whoa! We actually see his face (frontal 3/4 view) on a cover?!

Thanks for the heads-up about the release. :)

KoshN April 5th 10 22:42

Ordered it from Amazon at 8:22 AM today 4/5 and got it for the pre-order price of $9.99 (hardcover). :D

Shipped at 6:18PM today. :D :D

Demonn April 7th 10 23:06

& i just finished it today... had a to be continued ending so be warned. It better be a to be continued episede anyway...

And I remember complaining before about how on every cover Harry Dresden is wearing a hat... which he never wears in the books. He actually says in Changes... "I don't do hats" :p

KoshN April 8th 10 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 359246)
& i just finished it today.

It came out yesterday, you finished it today, and I haven't even gotten it yet! :rolleyes:

Quote:

.. had a to be continued ending so be warned. It better be a to be continued episede

book

Quote:

....anyway...

Damn! No wrap up, ....a cliffhanger? Heh, by the time I get to it and read it, maybe the next one will be out.

Quote:

And I remember complaining before about how on every cover Harry Dresden is wearing a hat... which he never wears in the books. He actually says in Changes... "I don't do hats" :p

I don't think he ever wore one in the TV show, either. Not sure about the comics or graphic novel.

I never used to wear hats unless it was -20degF and windy. Babylon 5 and Crusade changed that. ;) Most days, I wear my Crusade ballcap, and nobody knows what "Crusade" is (was). People have actually asked. The rest of the time I wear my "Babylon 5" ballcaps, and almost nobody knows it, either.

Demonn April 10th 10 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 359249)
Damn! No wrap up, ....a cliffhanger? Heh, by the time I get to it and read it, maybe the next one will be out.

Yep... cliffhanger... to be continued at a later date I guess.

Changes really was an good title for the book... everything changed. :p By the time you get to the end you're left with, "what happens next?"

KoshN April 11th 10 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 359339)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 359249)

Yep... cliffhanger... to be continued at a later date I guess.

Changes really was an good title for the book... everything changed. :p By the time you get to the end you're left with, "what happens next?"

And now you have to wait A YEAR. :(

Demonn April 22nd 10 10:54

Yep... thank god for other book series I guess.

Demonn May 2nd 10 03:12

Next book is gonna be called Ghost Story... & I found this little tid bit on wikipedia.

& I don't want to hear any crap about wikipedia, I like it, it works, not everything on there is made up or completely false. :p
Quote:

Harry's story will continue in Aftermath, told from Karrin Murphy's point of view and running from roughly half an hour after the end of Changes. The story will be released as part of Side Jobs, a collection of Dresden shorts due for release in late summer or early autumn of 2010.

Jim Butcher has already signed for a thirteenth Dresden novel, tentatively listed as Ghost Story on his official forums, and confirmed by Butcher at several signings ( his publishers wouldnt let him call it the more prosaic Dead). He has also confirmed that Changes marks the midpoint of Harry's story and there will be at least 7 more books, possibly 10, to finish Harry's story.

KoshN May 2nd 10 17:58

"Side Jobs" (short story collection), "Ghost Story" and 7 to 10 more novels after "Ghost Story." :D Thanks for the good news.

Battlestar May 3rd 10 22:51

I haven't read any of the books (I still have alot of reading to do... been falling behind) but I really enjoyed the show when it first aired and picked up the DVD set when it came out.

Demonn May 4th 10 11:23

I started reading the books because of the show... turns out the show sucked. Compared to the books at least. ;)

Dresden Files is the one books series I try to recomend to everybody...

KoshN May 4th 10 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 360835)
I started reading the books because of the show... turns out the show sucked. Compared to the books at least. ;)

Well.... I did like Paul Blackthorne as Harry, Valerie Cruz as Murph (aside from being a brunette, not Irish, not 5'0" and having the wrong firstname. She seemed to have the Murph personality down pat.), Terrence Mann as Bob, and Joanne Kelly as Bianca (even though they did write her wrong. Boy, there's one HOT Newfie! :D :D :D ).

Demonn May 13th 10 01:31

Morgan threw me all off when I started reading the books... turned out he was supposed ot be a white guy that looked like Sean Connery. :p

Demonn September 19th 10 21:25

Side Jobs comes out on October 26th...

For those of you that don't read Dresden Files, & some of you that do... each book only covers a couple days in the life of Harry Dresden. With that said, some short stories were published inbetween books and some were just done to give you a better understanding of Harry. There's also a graphic novel called Welcome to the Jungle...

Most importantly, for those of you that have just read Changes, & are like "WTF?"... Aftermath should be at the end of the book & it takes place 45 minutes after Changes ends. It's also told form Murphy's point of view.

Demonn February 17th 11 14:01

They've changed the release date for Ghost Story... it's now July 26th instead of April. :(