B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9543)

hypatia April 26th 08 02:51

Re: EpDis: The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father

Around 19, right? One year shy of two decades. I'm assuming she's been taught since birth to "dehumanize" all Narns.

Was Vir's potential wife taught neutrally for the first decade of her life? I'm simply assuming most children who go to the Psi Corp have been. Then, when their "gift" is discovered, the indoctrination must begin. That leaves a lot less time to teach such dehumanizing of the mundanes. And such indoctrination would happen at a less impressionable age, though obviously not entirely unimpressionable.

Now, if the female intern was, say, 5 or 6 when discovered, then she was mostly raised from when she could first remember to consider mundanes sub-human. I simply can't remember any reference as to when she was "recruited".

Galahad April 26th 08 13:02

If she was the byproduct of the Psi Corps breeding programme to broduce more potent telepaths, or if she came from two parents already in the Corps, then they would have tested her DNA shortly after birth (at least they would have in the first instance), then they would have had their grubby little clutches on her from day one.

It's ironic that the Corps refer to humans as little more than animals... but it's they that have a breeding programme to produce a better pedigree of telepath and therefore treat their own people like farmyard animals.

Estelyn February 5th 11 16:36

I enjoy the episodes that show us things through someone else's eyes. And I like the idea of having the Corps logo in the credits! That amplifies the feeling.

Bester's line "Not everything is about Babylon 5" amuses me, because as things turn out, it is! The dialogues between him and B5 personnel are almost like Londo and G'Kar's bickering, except that the latter actually respect each other.

The "family" idea is prevalent - the Corps as mother and father, etc. Bester is not the only one who sees it like that.

Isn't this the first time we see Bester without his uniform? It's strange what a difference that makes - he looks so normal.

Interesting how the male intern interprets his actions - he's not disobeying instructions, he's "showing initiative". His death doesn't result from disobedience though, but from calling for help as instructed.

The tension in this episode results from the juxtaposition of "normalcy" and ruthlessness on the part of the Corps members. Chilling...

deaded June 22nd 11 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino (Post 281572)
but actual Psi Cops themselves must be P12

This has been said other places. So how could the rogue they were chasing, who was a P10, be a, "Psi-Cop in training?"

A_M_Swallow June 23rd 11 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by deaded (Post 371357)
Quote:

This has been said other places. So how could the rogue they were chasing, who was a P10, be a, "Psi-Cop in training?"

Psi Corps would not be the first organisation to drop its standards. P10s are still very powerful telepaths.

Sindatur June 23rd 11 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_M_Swallow (Post 371397)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaded (Post 371357)
Quote:

Psi Corps would not be the first organisation to drop its standards. P10s are still very powerful telepaths.

Been too long since my last viewing or reading of the books, but, I seem to recall P-10 was the minimum rating for a certain position, and P12 (The highest ranking) was a requirement for another position?

Jan June 24th 11 02:50

As I recall (and I may be wrong), P-12s are automatically psi-cops but I don't recall that *only* P-12s are. That wouldn't make much sense since they're so rare.

Jan

deaded June 26th 11 08:26

I'll probably have to wait for my next viewing of the entire series, but I'm pretty sure that DeMartino is right. I remember someone saying that you had to be a P12 to be a psi-cop.

Jan June 26th 11 08:39

Found it. From "Mind War":

Quote:

BESTER
He's a P10. All instructors at
the academy are rated P10.

IVANOVA
And Psi Cops? What're you rated?

KELSEY
P12. Someone has to keep an eye on
the rest.
So it looks like Joe DeMartino was right.

Jan

Alioth June 27th 11 06:06

Didn't psi cops have "bloodhounds" working with them in their posses, who were IIRC lower-rated telepaths who assisted in the chases (particularly the more dangerous ones) and provided added psi power for creating illusions/deceptions in the minds of their targets, as needed? Plus of course more physical manpower. Were they technically psi-cops of lower psi rating, just never lead detectives (which were probably all P-12s)?

The rogue they were chasing, if I'm remembering this episode correctly, seemed to have a special talent for "mind shredding"--i.e. even if lower-rated overall, the balance of his abilities skewed more toward offense than defense (or mind-reading per se), and in that category he was a danger to even average higher-rated telepaths (or higher-rated apprentices, as Bester sternly warns one of his). The Psi Cops force might have found that useful for some of its operations.