B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: A View From The Gallery (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9321)

Joseph DeMartino October 8th 06 19:21

Re: EpDis: A View From The Gallery

Quote:

Some particulars would be nice. A hint. A rumor. A legend.

Why? :) Who cares? ;) The story isn't about them.

OK, let's say "some particulars would be nice." But that isn't what you're saying. You're saying "This episode sucks because it is missing those particulars." I would submit that this need to have every "T" crossed and "I" dotted is your problem, not the episode's. There is nothing dramatically invalid about what JMS did, you just don't find it personally satisfying. And "This is not to my personal taste" is not the same thing as "This is objectively bad".

Regards,

Joe

Jan October 8th 06 22:03

Quote:

And "This is not to my personal taste" is not the same thing as "This is objectively bad".

:beer: AMEN!

Quote:

I gave it a D (Poor) and I thought that was being charitable. It was pure filler, like they had to crank out an episode and nobody could think of anything, so they threw together this padding piece.

Uh-huh. Like a story with both JMS and Harlan Ellison's names on it was because nobody could think of an idea for an episode?! Yeah, right.

It's common to read sentiments like the above with the stand-alone stories and with the off-format stories and this episode is both. Generally, you hear it from the arc-addicts who think that anything that doesn't further the arc is 'filler'. Not saying that's your stand, KoshN, just that its something I read regularly.

I love it for the characters and for the different point of view. But then, I generally love the off-format episodes. I like when JMS tlits things sideways. ;)

Jan

KoshFan October 8th 06 22:16

My only objection to this ep is that the aliens came out of nowhere, in sufficient force. The show was so great at foreshadowing otherwise that this exception rankles me far more than it otherwise should. They couldn't have mentioned some missing ships somewhere, the ep before? Or alluded to clean-up afterwards?

In any other sci-fi show, this wouldn't matter in the slightest... but the standard for continuity had been set very high, so something like this seemed a little flat. B5 occasionally suffers from its own greatness.

But as I said, that was the ep's only weak point.

Jade Jaguar October 9th 06 03:24

Quote:

Really, they're just throwaway aliens, an overall background/overall event to tie together the "Mack & Bo wander about the station." episode.

Or, as I said, generic aliens, as a backdrop for Mack and Bo. That IS the point. It doesn't matter who they are, and where they came from, it's all the same to Mack and Bo, it's always the same to Mack and Bo, and this ep is their view of the station. The details you want don't matter, would be out of place, and alter the intended focus of the ep. If you don't like what the ep was trying to do, or don't think it succeded, fine. But changes that run counter to its purpose would be pointless.

hypatia October 9th 06 03:37

I wonder how many people don't like this episode because it's not focussing on "the important characters".

And again, that's what I liked about it. But I know it's not to everyone's taste.

I think the season 5 EpDis's are going to prove a bit more argumentative than they have in the past. :lol:

Which is fine: season 5 is a controversial season. :)

GaribaldisHair October 9th 06 09:28

I have always thought that this episode works better because we know nothing about the aliens. If the attack had come from a source that we already knew, our viewpoint of it would be "tainted" by that knowledge ... this ep is about, and written from the point of view of, two guys who don't have any of that knowledge. This puts us in the same mindset as them in working through what is going on.

If it had been the Drakh, for example, we would already have an idea of what their motivation was, who they were, where they came from and what their agenda might be. Mac and Bo wouldn't know that.

By introducing new, one-shot, aliens for this episode, it helps us to view this episode from their point of view ... which I always assumed was the point.

And as has already been pointed out, we didn't get any foreshadowing, or aftermath, about the probe in 'A Day In The Strife' - the introduction of one-shot aliens is not even new.

KoshN October 14th 06 17:39

Quote:

I have always thought that this episode works better because we know nothing about the aliens. If the attack had come from a source that we already knew, our viewpoint of it would be "tainted" by that knowledge ... this ep is about, and written from the point of view of, two guys who don't have any of that knowledge. This puts us in the same mindset as them in working through what is going on.

If it had been the Drakh, for example, we would already have an idea of what their motivation was, who they were, where they came from and what their agenda might be. Mac and Bo wouldn't know that.

By introducing new, one-shot, aliens for this episode, it helps us to view this episode from their point of view ... which I always assumed was the point.

It doesn't have to be an alien race that <u>we've</u> heard of before. It could have been about one-shot aliens that we've never heard of before, but that <u>the main characters</u> did know something about.

Quote:

And as has already been pointed out, we didn't get any foreshadowing, or aftermath, about the probe in 'A Day In The Strife' - the introduction of one-shot aliens is not even new.

The difference is that 'A Day In The Strife' had one small probe. 'A View from the Gallery' had an attack fleet. Which do you think is more likely for somebody on the station to have heard of, one small probe or an entire attack fleet?

vacantlook October 14th 06 23:26

Quote:

Which do you think is more likely for somebody on the station to have heard of, one small probe or an entire attack fleet?

Considering that space is HUGE, it's all a bunch of needles floating in endless black nothingness.

KoshN October 15th 06 19:53

Quote:

Quote:

Which do you think is more likely for somebody on the station to have heard of, one small probe or an entire attack fleet?

Considering that space is HUGE, it's all a bunch of needles floating in endless black nothingness.

And there's no communication between races, no IA, no ISN, no remote probes, etc. :p

vacantlook October 15th 06 23:47

Quote:

And there's no communication between races, no IA, no ISN, no remote probes, etc.

Not covering and monitoring the complete entirity of the vastness of space, no. Space is just too big for me to be shocked and confounded that they would actually miss something, even something as big as a fleet fo ships. I wouldn't even be surprised if they missed a planet. There are, after all, somewhere between 200 and 400 billion stars in the Milky Way spread over a distance of 80,000 to 100,000 lightyears in diameter, 250,000 to 300,000 lightyears in circumference, and 1000 lightyears in thickness outside of the core's area. So, yeah, there's a lot of space out there in space. Lot's of space for things, even fleets, to hide in.