B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: And The Rock Cried Out No Hiding Place (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=8811)

KoshFan February 14th 06 17:51

Re: EpDis: And The Rock Cried Out No Hiding Place

Quote:

Londo's fascinating as always with his scheming (how come he was never any good at poker? He should be a master at it!)

Probably because he was usually drunk.

PillowRock February 15th 06 16:35

Quote:

I found one minor quibble- that the clerics working as underground intelligence were from every major religion, one each. That's just so... I dunno, Sesame Street or something. Let's all hold hands and sing around the world kind of bullshit.

On the other hand, if some Interfaith Council type of organization was sending a delegation, then that's exactly the kind of make-up that I would expect that delegation to have.

Quote:

Why did only the Baptist minister get a service? And he brought his gospel choir entourage with him?

I had actually always assumed that was a local church choir of people who lived on the station (since there was never any mention of anybody beyond the three of them making the trip), and that the fact that his denomination happened to have such an active local parish (or whatever the appropriate term is) was why he was presiding over the joint service. He was the visiting clergyman with proper credentials / certification to preside in that church.

Plus, of course, there is always the point that just because services of the other religions didn't fit into the 42 minutes of broadcast time does not *necessarily* mean that such services did not take place.

Joseph DeMartino February 15th 06 18:21

Quote:

I found one minor quibble- that the clerics working as underground intelligence were from every major religion, one each.

It isn't like those guys were the entire organization. Each major religion sent one representative because spaceflight is still damned expensive. The larger religions would have more members and therefore more potential recruits, religious establishments in more countries and cities, more money, etc. Smaller religions may well have been involved, but lacked the numbers or wherewithal to send a delegate, and so were content to be represented by one of the others.

The Catholics may well only have been represented because Brother Theo and his monks were already in residence.

As was so often the case, JMS was drawing on history in setting this up. Religious organizations have acted performed secret intelligence work from time immemorial. The Spanish missionaries both reported on conditions in the New World and discoveries of minerals and other resources and tried to keep an eye on the governors sent out to exploit them. The Jesuits are famous for their skills as cryptographers and for moving information across borders undetected. (One of these days somebody is going to write the full story of the high stakes poker game played by Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, John Paul II and Mikhial Gorbachev that started with the Solidarity movement in Poland and ended with the collapse of the Soviet Union. Priests and nuns were providing the West with a much more accurate picture of developments in Poland that the KGB was sending to Moscow - or the CIA to Washington, for that matter. ) During the Nazi era religious organizations similarly worked with local resistance forces, Allied intelligence agencies and military personnel, and one another to provide back channels of communication that were nearly invulnerable to penetration by the enemy, as ordinary spy rings were not.

Regards,

Joe

GKarsEye February 15th 06 20:23

Yes, I know all that- my quibble wasn't with the logistics of it, it was the style. "Oh look, all the religions get along now." It's the kind of thing you'd see in Star Trek, where humanity conquers all its problems. Very unlike B5, were people are still assholes. Plus, the one-of-each-religion thing was done in Parliament of Dreams already. The whole thing is just too... I dunno... cute, I guess, for my tastes.

Joseph DeMartino February 15th 06 22:23

Quote:

The whole thing is just too... I dunno... cute, I guess, for my tastes.

Well, at least they didn't actually join hands and sing "Kumbaya". :)

Joe

Sindatur February 15th 06 22:41

Quote:

Quote:

The whole thing is just too... I dunno... cute, I guess, for my tastes.

Well, at least they didn't actually join hands and sing "Kumbaya". :)

Joe

Nah, that was in Season 5. "We will all come together in a better place..."

Alluveal February 15th 06 23:58

Quote:

"We will all come together in a better place..."

/stabs self in mind's eye

I had blocked that out until now. You are a bad man, Sindatur.

RW7427 February 16th 06 04:40

I watched the ep with that song in it last night and I wanted to throw something at my TV and break it to get it to stop. :lol:

GKarsEye February 16th 06 15:31

B5 score CDs are popular items amongst fans. But what about a soundtrack album, featuring such hits as:

- And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place- B5 Gospel Choir
- That First Song that Franklin's Girlfriend Sings- Franklin's Girlfriend
- And We Will All Come Together (In a Better Place)- Byron and the Rogues
- Hokie Pokie- Londo Mollari
- Fishies- G'Kar
- Centauri opera excerpt- Londo w/ special guest Vir
- And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place (reprise)

KoshFan February 16th 06 16:12

Only the Fishies track would be worth it.